Author Topic: Osage stave question - layout  (Read 333 times)

Offline tonychops

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage stave question - layout
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
Hi guys, I am working on my first osage stave and have some questions. I'd like to aim for 50# at 28" draw. I sketched out an idea of limb width at 1 3/4". It is 63" long and width varies from about 3" at the widest and 1 1/2" at the narrowest point. One end has a crack off to the side that runs down about 10 inches, so I tried laying out a center line that works around it. I also have a knot that is currently sitting a couple of inches into the working limb. It appears to angle back in toward the center. Does this pose an issue once I start shaping the limb? Can I get some opinions on the handle layout as well? I've made a couple of vine maple bows, and I know osage is a different beast. If the knot is questionable, should I consider cutting the stave in half to flip the limb with knot around towards to the tip where it wouldn't be a problem? I would like to try a 2 piece takedown at some point. So, if all goes well there should be pics at the end of this rambling. Thanks for looking!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage stave question - layout
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
For me it is easier to draw a center line, following the grain and then mark off the limb width from there(3/4"on either side of the center line for a 1 1/2" width). Work around the knots to finalize the limbs. It almost looks like you could eliminate that knot by staying to the wide side of it.
1 1/2" wide is plenty for a 63" bow at 50#@28".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tonychops

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage stave question - layout
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks Pat! I was erring on the side of using a wider limb. The limbs are marked out at 1 1/2" wide now, which has the knot closer to the handle right on the outside.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©