Author Topic: Calling all ASL Hill builders?  (Read 702 times)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
Calling all ASL Hill builders?
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Just wondering what you have found to be the best combo in demensions and materials of your own ASL bows
ie.. Limb and handle material, length, width at F.O. And at tips.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling all ASL Hill builders?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
TTT
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
No takers???

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
I would have to build a huge number of additional bows with a broad variation in design, materials and measurements in order to come up with an opinion on that.  Then, it would only be my opinion that would be colored by my own preference and prejudice.

Fifty bowyer's might give you as many different answers.

But, it is an interesting question to ponder and speculate about.  It's one of the questions that make this bow building intriguing.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm only looking for there opinion, that's why I'm asking.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
OK, I'll give it a shot. Riser material;  maple, walnut, action wood, elm, purpleheart, rosewood,y yellow heart.  The only one I might not use again would be the yellow heart.  It seemed a bit soft.  Walnut is considered soft by many, but mine is dense and heavy for walnut.  Sixteen to eighteen inches long.  

Limbs;  66 go 72" mostly 68.  Flat or slightly set back.  Set back for speed, flat for soft shooting.  1 3/8 to 1 1/8 at the fades.  5/16 to 3/8 at the nocks.  The classic Hill is wider at the tips.  No tip wedge.

Limb material has been elm, maple and zebra wood.  I can detect no difference in performance.  

If I'm heading for a standard design it is 1 1/8 at the fades, 68" long, 3/8 tips, 15" riser, hill style flat grip, shallow cut shelf, no tip wedge, maple or elm core.
Monterey

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
Thanks Monterey

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
I've been building them 1"@fades and 7/16"@ tips with a 14" riser.
But you with those narrower tips wow that's tiny. I'd like to see one. Thanks.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
Standard Hill for my builds has a 13.5" riser. 1-1/16 to 1-1/8 at the fades, about 7/16 at the tips. I usually trap the back, so the back at the tips is smaller. I put tip wedges in, but no overlays. I really like a touch of string follow over backset or flat. Shoot sweeter with very little difference in performance (but there is some.) I like lighter woods for the cores. My favorite was one with yew. But I've had good luck with walnut, cherry, and also like locust (although a bit heavier.) I make my bottom limb 1/2" shorter than my upper and found that with a almost even to 1/16 positive tiller to make a sweet shot with little hand shock.

As has been mentioned, this is where I ended up that seems to work for ASL. But I have not extensively tested all the alternatives out there and I know others have different opinions.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
Mine are normally from 64'' to 68'', mainly the latter unless for shorter people. 1 1/8'' at fades down to 7/16- 1/2'' at tips, 16'' risers and total of .004 tapers. sometimes I go for one parallel and 3 x .001 tapers. Haven't noticed any huge difference between them.Always 'boo cores mostly as the outcome is far more predictable, with some hardwood veneer on belly.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
The narrow tips are definitely not Hill like.  I get away with it by doing a straight near pyramid front profile and and a .002 taper.  I'll check and see if I have a photo.
Monterey

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
Found a pic.

Monterey

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
Oh that reminds me. .005 to .008 taper depending on draw weight/stack. Got to that by measuring a lot of the better bows from the classic Hill bowyers. A lot less hand shock than the ones with sub 0.005 tapers.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Thanks Canopyboy and  Bigbob for your input, sounds like I'm right in the ballpark for ASL building.
The sweetest one I ever saw in person was one of Nates Sunsethills and that's what I've tried to copy, narrow, trapped and petite.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 12:27:00 AM »
I haven't noticed any handshock in mine with the .004 tapers. actually very smooth and quiet.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
None in mine at .002, but the taper needed for a narrow small tipped bow is all different from a true Hill design.

I avoid calling mine "Hill" bows and prefer ASL or American Flatbow.  I will occasionally refer to them as "Hillish".
Monterey

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
I have made bows with tapers of .004 all the way up to .012.5".  As i went up in taper the thump got less and less.  My favorite bow to date is a .012" taper 69" 54@28 longbow.  This bow doesn't stack at all at my 29.5" draw.  It is just over 1" at the fades and just over 3/8" at the tips.  The total stack is .720 with .050 glass belly and back.  To get that stack to my poundage I trapped it to the belly and rounded it like an Osage selfbow.  Spent many hours getting it right with no lean or limb twist but it is perfect.  Too hard to duplicate that so I don't try.  

For cores i like lamboo, maple, and love walnut.  I don't notice any difference between these.  I would like to try more elm, red cedar and cherry.  I did make 2 bows with osage for limbs and did find those to have more thump.
 I use a 4 to 6" tip wedge and usually not a tip overlay.  I like a 12-14" riser.  Most bows I make now for myself use a .011 taper, total stacks in the hi .600s, 1 1/8" at fades, 3/8" at tips, 6" wedge, and i like them trapped to the belly (mostly for looks).

I find that these are the best shooting bows I've shot.  Smooth, quick, quiet, and look cool.

But...that's just me.

Eric

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Obviously I might be biased.     :biglaugh:

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks typical2 that's good info. I've been building mine with a .006 taper to the limbs and like the way they feel and look. Did make 2 with a .008 taper and the tips were a little whip ended looking for my taste. But they shot ok also used Osage in the limbs on one of them and noticed more "thump" than my black walnut one.

Offline ewoodie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Thank you for your input, you make a "newbe" very happy.
After a few yew self bows, and a few to light to heavy bows, 28 years back, I'm hooked on Trad. Archery again.
These days I can find a lot good information for bow making .
thanks to you all.

Now making a classic short riser ASL with a Yew laminate/riser and Yew ( glass ) limbs with a bamboo core.

More info (  stack ) very welcome.
You can do it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©