Author Topic: Refinishing-help needed  (Read 213 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Refinishing-help needed
« on: September 08, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Here's a link to my post on the PowWow section for the full story on these plus pictures of current condition, in case you're curious or if you want to hear a heartbreaking story about destroyed bows:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=146099

I'll keep it short and simple here.  I have two Bear Rangers and one Bear Black Bear that I want to refinish.  My understanding is that none of them have much collector value, but if I'm wrong, please let me know.  The Rangers don't have any sentimental value so I'm not worried about maintaining the factory decals.  I plan to remove all old finish and spray a new finish on them.  I'll write the Ser# and specs back on, and I'll reinstall the Bear medallion.  I'm also thinking I'll inlay a piece of wood where the sight rail was.  The black bear does have sentimental value and I'd like to keep it close to original condition.  What's the best way to remove the old finish without destroying the decals, or would I be better off getting replacement decals?  Roughly how much $ am I looking for all new decals if I go that route?  I'm going to start with the Rangers so here is the more pressing question:  what's the best spray on finish to use on a glass laminate recurve?  Also, I'm not crazy about the light colored maple riser wood.  What are your thoughts on staining the wood before spraying?  Could stain affect glue joints, or would it be safe to do?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing-help needed
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
First on the stain. Once you get to bare wood no problem staining. Will not hurt the glue joints just don't soak it.

Sandpaper is my choice to remove all the old finish. Gary the grits till super smooth.

On my home made bows I use spray can Healmans (sp) spray urethane.

Do a search for decals if no one gives a source.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©