Author Topic: Super Glue bow finish  (Read 303 times)

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Glue bow finish
« on: September 11, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »
I  have trouble getting decent finishes here in alaska because of shipping and Haz Mat costs. Has anyone here tried straight Super Glue and if so what is the best method for application? I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks!

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Glue bow finish
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:03:00 AM »
I've used it for small projects or to seal wood prior to putting a different finish over the bare wood.
There are other methods, but the 'cleanest' method that I've found is to use some wax paper wrapped around my finger.  I put a dab on the wood and quickly smear it around with my finger.  Be sure to hold it reasonably away from your face when applying it.  The fumes are supposed to be harmful - but also if you breath on the wet glue it will develop a milky color that is impossible to reverse until you sand it off.
As is the case with many things, take your time and it will turn out well.  Thinner is better if you don't like to sand...

I recommend some trial runs on scraps of wood.

If you check out some knife making forums you'll read more on the topic.

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by hunting badger:
I  have trouble getting decent finishes here in alaska because of shipping and Haz Mat costs. Has anyone here tried straight Super Glue and if so what is the best method for application? I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks!
Sent you a PM
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Minwax wipe-on polly if you can get it. I tried super glue on a knife handle and it was a nightmare to apply and sand.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Same results as above.
I like the Massey finish. Two part epoxy mixed with acetone.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
I have never used super glue as a finish.  I have tried it to seal oil woods before putting on the finish.  I have found if there is any moisture in the wood at all as it escapes it will turn the finish a milky color.  I no longer use it.  I think there are easier and better products.

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
I would like to use some of the commercial finishes available  in the lower 48 but they are a nightmare to get to Alaska and cost prohibitive to get to Alaska. I use super glue to harden the male end of a two piece take down and it worked very well, which got me to thinking about using it on the whole bow. our weather conditions are harsh here and and thing that is not tough will succumb to the water or the cold. I have tried all kind of poly but only one worked reasonably well and of course i can't get it here anymore.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realize that super glue would turn milky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
What type of bow are you sealing?  A glasser or self bow? Tite Bond 3 will seal a wood bow nicely.

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
Best to experiment or call a proven expert:

Super glues can be extremely stiff and crack if not the expensive "rubberized" version.  Try a dime sized spot on a sheet of copy paper.  Let it harden 48 hours and check it for bending quality.  

There ARE some excellent flexible versions, but many vendors are not truly able to assure people.  Dorge at FIRENOCK is about as informed as can be.  Invest a nickle and CALL him.  You'll be blown away by his knowledge.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©