Author Topic: Best Tools for building laminated bows?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline J. R. Harp

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Tools for building laminated bows?
« on: September 12, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Hi,  I'm trying to get started making some bows.  Was just wondering what tools make the job the easiest?  Have a bandsaw already.  Ready to buy a sander and was wondering which types make it the easiest (belt, disc, spindle, drill press, ect)?  And any other tools that will come in handy.  Thanks

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Tools for building laminated bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Hmmmm.good question.
It really depends on how much "hand work"you want to do vs . mechanical aid.

I personally use a band saw,belt sander,drill press,spindle sander,drum sander,planer,jointer,table saw and a chop saw for the bows I build.

That being said is really up to you.   :)

Cody-

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
I have made some laminated bows with very simple power tools.  In fact, I am in the final stages of finishing a 60" d/r longbow and used a coping saw for my riser because I don't own a bandsaw.

With that being written, I did buy an oscillating spindle sander and don't know how I made it without one in the past.  It is unquestionably MY favorite tool for making bows.  I don't make many bows so I opted for a cheap model - using the "20% off" coupon that many folks are familiar with.  

YMMV

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Bandsaw
Oscillating belt/spindle -rigid-
Table saw
Thickness sander
Set of rasps/files
Drill press

in roughly that order.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
A good table saw and belt sander wood do me fine.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
I would get a belt sander next, just make sure you can use the end of it to shape stuff, and if possible use a bit of redneck teck and make a small table under the end roller with the belt stood strait up to grind your lams.

I have a pic of my first lam grinder/belt sander somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 01:16:00 AM »
A belt and disc sander combo is something you'll get a lot of use out of.  A couple of years ago I bought an oscillating spindle sander on sale.  Almost all of my bows are wood and I used it very little because I like shaping the handle with a rasp, scraper, and sandpaper.
Couple of weeks ago I wondered why I bought it.  I'm working on my second try at a glass bow right now.  Today I cut the riser fades in and found out just how perfect that spindle sander works on those long fades.  Someone who is good at shaping using a belt sander could get by without one, but I am glad to have it.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline J. R. Harp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 02:27:00 AM »
Bandsaw, spindle sander, disc sander, big edge sander , home made lam grinder, drill press.plus numerous rasps and files. they hate 'glass and don't last that long.

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 05:02:00 AM »
i just have
small band saw,
decoupage,
drill,
and hand planner (just bought last month)
rest i am doing with my hands... well i can not create market level bows, but i can build enough to give me pleasure of building...  :D
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
"A belt and disc sander combo " is great but I like to use the belt sander at times free hand and I built a small platform to mount the sander on its side for grinding lams, handles and doing side profile. Some times I shake my head because it never does one job well. A spindle sander would be better for doing risers and handles.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
i have a spindle sander and a small disc belt sander, and  a drill press etc etc
but if i were going to buy one tool for glass bow making, it would be a long edge sander( 84")- where i can use the ends  as a profile sander/ pattern sander etc etc.
 can pick them up cheaper used and on the auction sites  etc- seen them going for 400USD

sure makes the finishing easier, quicker and neater- can do the risers prep as well, and with a little imagination would make a great thickness sander for lams etc.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
No doubt a long edge sander would be the ticket, if only I had room for such a beast.    
   :bigsmyl:

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
It all depends on what you plan on doing. I had no plans on doing as much as I do...well not at first, but I have a hard time stopping.

It also depends on your finances. I started out with the best that I could barely afford and then kept my eyes open for upgrades.

I have become a bit of a tool collector. I have repetitive machinery so I don't have to re set them all the time. Currently I own three band saws, but I will be buying another ...maybe tomorrow  :)
I have edge sanders and other sanders in storage that I have never used because I couldn't pass up a great deal. I have plans for them, but no hurry.

My most important piece of equipment in my shop if there is one is my wide belt sander...but then we make all our parts in house and sell quantities to other bowyers so they can too.

If you buy a sander, try to get an edge sander with a small idler wheel as you can use it to shape your risers some. I have a spindle sander too, but compared to a edge sander with a small idler...the spindle sander is near worthless.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
I have a relatively inexpensive tool to add to my recommendation. I realized the other day how much I used it building a bow and when I thought about it, this tool could do the job of several that I have albeit slower.

The oscillating multi-tool from Harbor freight coupled with a harbor freight router speed control.  It does a good job cutting many of the materials we use. The sanding head is irreplaceable to me.  The rasp attachment is awesome. I think you can get all of that under $50.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©