Author Topic: Finding Osage  (Read 318 times)

Offline BayfieldHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Finding Osage
« on: September 28, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Hi everyone - I am in the process of reading the book "Hunting the Osage Bow" and will start making my first bow following this book in the next couple of weeks (months).  I have a very basic newbie question.  I live in Wisconsin near Green Bay.  Is there a place in Wisconsin, or a place that I can mail order, a few staves of Osage Orange?  I am not sure where to find this. I know in the book it suggests finding a tree, harvesting it, drying, etc. but I would rather get right to the bow making as I am not sure where I would start to find a land owner with Osage, etc. Thank you, Dave

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finding Osage
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Contact Mike Yancey at Pine Hollow Longbows.  He's a sponsor here.

http://www.pinehollowlongbows.com/
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline BayfieldHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Jswerka - Thanks!  That is exactly what I am looking for.  I appreciate the help!  Dave

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Contact Gary Davis of Rattlestick Bows. I believe Gary lives in Michigan. Gary always has real nice osage and floor tillered bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:47:00 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Dave!  I live in Neenah and never heard of Osage wood until I joined this forum.  Who knows, there may be a few trees up here somewhere, but we're well north of its native range.  If you ever decide to make a board bow, Kettle Moraine Hardwoods has nice hickory and hard maple.  They're just off Hwy 41 north of Hwy 60.  I make the trip down there a couple times a year.
Osage is hands down the best bow wood I've used, though.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline BayfieldHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Pat and Greg - Thank you!  That is very helpful info.  It would be fun to get together and shoot sometime.  Dave

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Sounds good Dave   :thumbsup:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
My cousin in Beaver Dam has a bunch cured from a 2008 trip to Ohio and he can be talked out of a couple.  He also has some growing around beaver dam, but nothing ready yet. His results show it does not do well in that climate. When we went to Ohio we drove around and knocked on doors.  I do that around here in the northern shenandoah and cannot remember ever being turned down. I have a pile in my barn.  If I were you I would drive down to ILL along I70 and knock on doors.  It is thick along the interstate with many. many fence rows in corn fields. PM me if you need any help
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©