Author Topic: debating fiber glass  (Read 422 times)

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
debating fiber glass
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
I have made all wood osage bows in all forms d/r recurves long bows for over 10 years and have started thinking about testing the waters of fiberglass bows. Do you guys have any recommendations on books or resources to start educating myself?

Thanks guys,
Ty

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: debating fiber glass
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
you found it..its here!  use the search function and you will find plenty of information..

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
search build alongs here
dig through the net--its all out there!!
have fun!!
Mike

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
Binghams is great place to start.  They have everything you need and if you follow their plans, you will come very close to your intended draw weight on your first try.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:34:00 AM »
If you have mastered the wood bow you can certainly build a glass bow.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
I definitely won't claim to have mastered anything but I can make a sure reliable stick in a pinch. Thanks for the reference to binghams I'll check it out. Any recommended books or YouTube links?  I have found a couple build alongs I am studying here but, would like multiple perspectives before I jump into it.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Ok been reading for about 3 hours and the extent of unnatural materials isn't too bad. I have Lots of wood, lots of osage and other woods I can make risers and tips from. And I can make my own strings.

It's apparent I need to build a lam grinder and an oven before I get too far along.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Now what about things I have to go buy?
Recommendations on glue to use? I have seen a lot about smooth on.

What about glass? How many layers are actually neccessary in the limbs? It looks like I've been seeing mostly a back and belly 2 piece set up. Gordon glass has been commonly popping up.

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
I prefer smooth on in regards to the glue and in regards to glass two pieces back and belly holding together all your wood lams. As mentioned earlier the bingham site can provide all you need plus a dvd walking through the build process of the bow oven and bow. That is how I built my first bow and I am still shooting that first bow today 8 years later.

After getting the bingham process down you can add your own flair and adjustment to the process as you desire.

The dvd will also layout the process of building your bow form.

Enjoy!
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm a wood bow guy, too, and just finished my first glass one, a Bingham's hybrid.  This build along by KennyM was a big help:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001165;p=1

I got the plans for the bow and form plus the DVD from Bingham's.  Sam Harper's site was a big help, too.  I was glad to know that I could use the C-clamps that I had from  wood lam glue ups.  Adding an aluminum bar and a strip of rubber worked out great:

http://poorfolkbows.com/glass1.htm
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
I have only used "Smooth On" myself and Gordon's glass.. Earlier this year I bought 2 different brands of clear fiberglass and did not use either. In 2009 I bought recurve plans from Bingham's, I had trouble getting my form perfect using the method shown in the DVD..I found Kenny's build a long showing his method of form building..I ended up using a template and a 2 inch cut bottom bearing pattern bit on a router table. I still use this method since it works for me.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by EwokArcher:

It's apparent I need to build a lam grinder and an oven before I get too far along.
Oven - yes.
Lam grinder - no.  I'd recommend buying your first set of lams and see if you like the whole process first before you invest too much money.  I have ground my own lams, but for all the more bows I build in a year, it's just not worth my time, so I buy them.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©