Author Topic: Need Some Advice on This One  (Read 405 times)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Some Advice on This One
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Two billets from the same tree, current length is 68", will be joined with a 2 pc sleeve system.

I've never worked anything with this much character, how do you go about tillering something like this?  Should the limb with the big twist in the center of it (2nd pic) be handled?  Can it be heated to remove the twist, or tiller as is?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Some Advice on This One
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
I'd make the bow symmetrical and decide later which will be the top limb. Once you have the takedown handle on work on it like any other bow. The curves and ups and downs can be tricky to visualize but like with a straight limb bow be sure the belly follows the back. The limbs still need an even taper.
 The first thing you'll need to do is get the string to track properly. You will have to do some heat straightening for this so be careful around the handle area as to not overheat the glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
cool billets!!
additionally to what Pat says- what i have done with real character bows before- is to draw a pencil line down the sides of the stave- and when on the tillering tree- i refer to that "center line " to help me see that all parts are working properly- sometimes its hard to see if those whoop-de-doos are working.

personally i would keep as much of the character  in the stave as possible- after getting the string to track as Pat the man says- and just work slowly- it will be an awesome bow when done!

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, as soon as I get the outer sleeve welded together and the brass one fitted, I will start working on the string alignment. Can I cut the ends of the billets where they butt together to get them to align, or is it better to heat and bend them?  Would never have thought to use the center line on the sides, good idea.  Yes it will be a slow go for sure.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
I might try an overall straightening to line up each limb(not the snakes) then line the limbs up with the handle and do it all with heat.
 The center line on the edges is an old trick that works well for uneven limbs. It gives you a straight line to judge the bend by.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
I don't have any advice, but that bow will look terrific with snake skins.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©