Author Topic: Bow Index  (Read 889 times)

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Index
« on: October 06, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
it is closely related to MOE and MOR values of woods.

MOE is modulus of elasticity: this number should be as low as possible. low value means wood can be easily bended.

MOR is modulus of rupture: this value should be as high a s possible. high value means wood can NOT be broken easily.

so the formula:

Bow Index = (MOR / MOE)*1000

(multiply with 1000 since the division number will not be easy to read  :)  )

Example:

osage orange:

MOR: 18,650
MOE: 1,689,000

(18650 / 1689000 )*1000 = 11,042036708 ~ 11.05

any value between 9 - 13 is ok for the bow.

so...

for the bow wood choosing this information can give you an idea.

up to here i summarized from  http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/bow-woods/

now My Theory for the laminated wood bows...

each of the lamination level should be calculated as in the formula and take the percentage of the wood on the bow and sum them up.

let see:

so as an example i will use this  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=013128

it is ipe and hickory. i do not know which ipe and which hickory so i just used more common ones.

so ipe bow index with the formula is 8.01
hickory bow index with the formula is 9.35

assume that 75% ipe, 25% hickory used
8.01*0.75 + 9.35*0.25 = 9.01

so this combination is just ok for the bow making.

so friends... go and grab your calculator and start some math...  :D  because both math and bow making are fun!

have fun...
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline Elison

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Index
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Very nice!

thanks!
Elison J. G. Lusvardi

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Dang it Ink, now I have a headache!   :confused:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:50:00 AM »
hahahaha crittergetter... get a beer yourself, then you will start feeling better  :D

there some more variables in laminated bows that i was planning to put in the formula but i guess that will do the job for a while....
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 06:55:00 AM »
Thanks but bowmaking is more fun than math.    :)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
OMG I can't believe I just deleted all that! I'll try again in pieces.

Those who don't like math should close their eyes.

OK, first of all, I'm going to discuss calculating energy storage per unit mass in woods. The premise being that the best bow woods store the most energy with the least weight. This may not be the only concern, but this is in my opinion the most critical factor.

First lets see what variables we have to use. From wood database we can obtain:

MOR - Modulus of Rupture; a measure of strain at failure. units of force per unit cross sectional area.

MOE - Modulus of Elasticity; a measure of the stiffness on a material in the region of elastic deformation

Density - measure of mass per unit volume, SG is normalized to the density of water.

OK so before we go farther, let me mention that wood is not a simple engineering material for the following reasons at least:
1)non-isotropic (mechanical properties depend on the orientation of the material)
2)wood exhibits significant creep and stress relaxation
3)wood deforms plastically before failing, therefore MOR is always measured after the wood has taken maximum set!

We will use the following assumptions:
1)all data from wood database is taken in the longitudinal axis(along the grain)
2)quasi-static; creep and stress relaxation are ignored
3)MOR is proportional to stress at the elastic limit (shown as proportionality limit in the stress strain curve below). In other words, higher MOR always means higher stress at the elastic limit. Elastic limit and proportionality limit are not identical but close enough for this discussion.

With these assumptions we can make a ******qualitative estimate of energy storage *******

So what has Ink calculated with MOR/MOE? well given the assumptions I have made, Ink has basically estimated (only qualitatively, not quantitatively) the strain at the elastic limit.

So what do we need to calculate or rather estimate? We need to estimate the energy stored by the wood during elastic deformation. The energy is stored is roughly 1/2 (stress at the elastic limit) * (Strain at the elastic limit).

Since we already said that MOR/MOE is roughly the strain at the elastic limit, and that MOR is an estimator of stress at the elastic limit, the equation for estimated energy storage is :
Energy = 1/2 (MOR/MOE)*(MOR)

since our estimate is only qualitative (only for comparison between woods) we can ignore the 1/2.
Therefore:
Energy ~ (MOR/MOE)*MOR

to get Energy/mass ~(MOR/MOE)*(MOR)*(1/density)

so there it is ...

Where does this fall short? Well MOR may not be a proportional estimator of the stress at the elastic limit. It's probably lose enough that it will give you some info, but may not be accurate enough to determine the better of two woods which rate very closely.

Stress strain curve to be added momentarily.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
I got it, or-- Think I'll have a double Mojito.   :)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
I'm just gonna stick wif Osage:)

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Wow, if I was still a drinking man it would take at least 3 vodka gimlets to get through this.  And I still wouldn't understand it.
Guess I'm stuck with the old math:  Osage=Good.   ;)
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
Ya beat me to it, Roy.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
I just have one question

It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix ?   :cool:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
I do it all the time, Mark..   :)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Littleben's occupation is a Mad Scientist

:biglaugh:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 03:03:00 AM »
The real problem I see is that all wood no matter what species varies so much from piece to piece that trying to nail down and give specific values to MOE, MOR, stress, strain etc isn't really going to give you meaningful numbers at the end. Too many givens!
A simply bend test will tell you all you need to know about any potential bow wood....granted you need to have a piece to test but still  ;)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
X'2 Mike.. Sometimes even the best looking piece of Osage has given me a loud cracking surprise on the tillering tree:)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by mikkekeswick:
The real problem I see is that all wood no matter what species varies so much from piece to piece that trying to nail down and give specific values to MOE, MOR, stress, strain etc isn't really going to give you meaningful numbers...
Yup.

It's easy for us engineering types to overthink these things. Just read some I my older posts.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Never met an engineer I trusted...  :)  Had one here a couple years ago to help me with my first glass takedown build. He had it between his ears, and talked a good game plan, but couldn't transfer it to his hands. I ended up trashing that bow.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I think Mike and Dave both make good points. And I wouldn't waste my time to determine a chart of "bow index". Also, the simple fact that Steve Gardner's mass formula works suggests that most wood is pretty close in terms of energy storage per mass. So my guess is if we bothered to calculate them all out, they'd all be remarkably close.

I do think, however, that there is meaningful information you can take from the empirical data we can get our hands on.

An example, let's say i built a bamboo backed osage 1.25" wide, and 62" long. The bow turned out well, and I liked it. I have a piece of clean yew and I want to make a bow of basically the same length and design and weight as I did with the osage, but using my nice new piece of pacific yew.

I would log onto TG and say, hey mike, how wide should my awesome yew bow be? Since no one has bend tested my osage or my yew, we're basically just going on people's experience. And probably if 10 people responded I would get 4-5 different answers.
I could alternatively log onto wood database and I could see that osage and yew  end about the same amount before breaking, and osage is about 20% stiffer than yew.
So I could just start building the yew bow 20% wider than my osage bow which would be 1.5" wide.

Is it perfect? No. But there's definately meaningful information to be taken.

Osage and Yew are also well known, so what do I do when I wanna build a bow with a shedua belly? I've got to start somewhere, and there may be no one to ask.

So bottom line, if you can bend test ... Great, but if you've got nothing to spare, better to start from the wood database data than a total guess.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©