Author Topic: Need some fletching advice  (Read 744 times)

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some fletching advice
« on: October 12, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
I have a number of arrows that need to be refletched. I've been given 6 or 8 whole wild turkey wings. Any advice on how to prep and cut the feathers with only hand tools would be appreciated.
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some fletching advice
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

That will get you started. Then cut them to the size and shape you want with scissors and glue them on.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
do you strip the feathers like that Roy- for fletching- only done it for splicing before-
is it durable- must make for a nice low profile on the shaft!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
do you strip the feathers like that Roy- for fletching- only done it for splicing before-
is it durable- must make for a nice low profile on the shaft!
Good question, I'm also curious. I notice whenever feathers get damaged it seems that the quill is separating from the pithy white core stuff, and often the quill is still totally intact, just detached.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 04:29:00 AM »
I don't do it that way, but for simplicity I showed him that. But they glue down very nicely when stripped.
I use a carpenters knife and slice the feather down the center of the quill. Then cut it to about an inch longer than I want, then clamp it in a straight clamp and grind the quill flat and thinner. Then I chop the feather. However sounds like he will be using scissors.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I do like Roy also. I never liked stripped feathers for some reason.
 The easy way to remove the feathers from the wings is to clip the quill with side cutters.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
Thanks to all, especially Roy & Pat. I actually thought I would need to use a razor knife/box cutter/carpenters knife type blade but I would try scissors if it would work better. The advice about the side cutters will be very helpful when I get to the work (after hunting season - I have enough arrows for the season). The video is great and I may try the stripping method on a couple feathers.

By "hand tools", I guess I meant that I don't have any specific feather prepping tools like a die cutter or a burner. I just have general workshop stuff.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
I have cut them using a cardboard template.  Not as pretty as a chopper or burner but works fine.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
Just like you cut out your paper dolls, Monterey?    :laughing:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Hmmmm... Been a long time since I've made a trip back east.  Might be time!  Just to compare paper dolls of course.    :eek:      :eek:
Monterey

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
LMAO..

Stop in when ya get back here, always cold beer in the bow shop....

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks, Roy, but I have enough "don't tell the wife" stuff to hide already. I may try the die cutter some time (I know someone who has one but he doesn't live real close to me) but I thought I would try the completely old-fashioned route first.

I will certainly try using thin cardboard as a template. I thought I would use paper to start and when I got what I liked I would transfer the pattern to cardboard. My current hunting arrows are fletched with 5 inch parabolic feathers but I have a few practice arrows fletched in both shield and traditional shapes (also 5 inch).

Again, thanks for all the tips. I'm looking forward to this project.

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
Haven't tried turkey feathers yet, but I do have some just waiting to be used.

Lots of Canada geese living close by, so I've made a bunch of arrows using the local feather supply.

I cut along the quill, carefully, with a craft knife - sometimes more successful than others - then grip the feather in a piece of sign box hinge - leaving the quill part exposed.

Grab yourself a nice new sheet of 60 - 80 grit sandpaper and gently rub in a direction parallel to the quill to remove as much of the inner soft parts, being careful not to go too deep, which is easy to do. This gives you a nice thin area to glue to the shaft. I usually wrap the front edge of the quill with a bit of thin thread and varnish it to prevent the end of the quill catching and lifting.

I have a really fancy    ;)  fletching device made from 3 spring clothes pegs and a few bits of wood to align things and use the same piece of hinge mentioned above to hold the fletching straight while I glue it in place - Superglue is best, so you don't have to hold things in place too long.
A good sharp pair of scissors and a bit of care will give acceptable results for shaping.

(I've been in the sign business since the ability to drive a paintbrush was essential so I have access to sign hinge) Go to your local sign shop and see if they have any - lots gets thrown in the recycle bin so you will likely get a couple of bits for free if you ask nicely and tell 'em what you want it for. Most people seem to think archery is kinda cool, even if they don't take part.

Hope this helps.
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
Here's what I was trying to describe, regarding the hinge.

http://s25.postimg.org/s701w3emn/hinge_01.jpg

http://s25.postimg.org/uplqws0cv/hinge_02.jpg

You can make out the exposed edge of the quill in hinge_02
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
very cool passion man!
i bought a big hinge from the hardware store- and did the same thing- but that sign hinge looks the deal- gonna ask the local printer   :thumbsup:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
First time I tried the cardboard template was on feathers that were already glued to the shafts.  Not recommended!  I have a burner and chopper.  Definitely prefer the burner.

Roy, story of my life is when I got the money I got no time, or as is the present case I got the time but no money.   :biglaugh:  

Beer and bows! The perfect combination...... As Long as you leave out the sharp tools.
Monterey

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
seen some cheap burners built with battery chargers etc- might have to u tube it

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
seen some cheap burners built with battery chargers etc- might have to u tube it
I thought once .... Ihhhhhh knows bouts 'lectricty..... I'z gon' make me a feather burner .....

Well several exploded wires later and a small outdoor fire and I decided it would be safer and quicker to work the overtime to buy Mr. Young's very nice fancy feather burner ...... Still haven't forked over the money .... Decided it was safest and cheapest to use scissors ....

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
:biglaugh:     :laughing:
yeppers- i use the young feather burner- i love mine- my wife hates it though- as my shop was adjoining the house- this year i have a new separate shop!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©