Author Topic: To tip wedge or not to tip wedge  (Read 593 times)

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
To tip wedge or not to tip wedge
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:57:00 AM »
So I'm building the 58" recurve again I put wedges in the first one and it jumps to 3# per inch late in the draw. But, this was the disaster bow where the riser slid and the bottom limb is 1.5" shorter. I'm wondering if that has more to do with than the wedges.  I'm thinking about leaving them out on this one. Both have stabil-kore. Your thoughts on this are appreciated.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To tip wedge or not to tip wedge
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
i'd be compelled to build to the original plan
 1-1/2" slide is a lot! and had to mess with your limb timing some as well as your riser fit to form
---can't automatically blame parts that were not in the correct spot!--good luck!!
Mike

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
What Bamboo said. Fix riser slide first.  IMHO

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Why not build this one without them.  Then add some thin overlays to the belly afterwards and compare for future ones?

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
My instincts are to build it without the tip wedge, thanks all for you affirmation of that. I know what to do now.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
I learned most of this trade by making mistakes.  One mistake is changing 2 or more things on the same lay up.  Get the problem fixed and then if you want to experiment don't change but one other thing.  Think of it as a reloader that is not getting the accuracy he wants from a rifle. To solve the problem he tries new brass, new powder and a different bullet.  Now you're getting good or worse accuracy but you don't know what caused it.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
That is a good application of scientific principle.  I built it with no tip wedges and it works great with a "softer" feel.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by 7 Lakes:
I learned most of this trade by making mistakes.  One mistake is changing 2 or more things on the same lay up.  Get the problem fixed and then if you want to experiment don't change but one other thing.  Think of it as a reloader that is not getting the accuracy he wants from a rifle. To solve the problem he tries new brass, new powder and a different bullet.  Now you're getting good or worse accuracy but you don't know what caused it.
Good tip change one thing at a time only way to figure out the problem. I did my final tuning on a TD yesterday, only thing left to do was raise the nock point. "BINGO" I started hitting the bulls eye.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©