Author Topic: 3 Piece Longbow/Accents In  (Read 3636 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Piece Longbow/Accents In
« on: October 22, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Hey guys,
 I am starting to think about working on my first takedown. Kenny gave me a limb template way back and told me the basic specs for it.
 I started to design the riser with a 12 degree pad. Here is where I am at right now. What do you guys think? I need some honest opinions on the design. Does it look good? Think I need to change the look? I want this thing to be the best I have ever built and it will take me some time to build it. But I am excited! The end deal will be 62 inches and going to shoot for 55# @28 inches.

I hope to maybe...just maybe... make a pair of longbow and recurve limbs for just one riser. I'm not sure if that is possible or not but I thought that it would be cool to be able to switch between the two.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Piece Longbow/Accents In
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
i will be watching this one- sounds like an awesome project!
but shouldnt you be out hunting right now?   :D   instead of being creative an' all?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Lol gonna head out in a bit Fuji!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
besides the limb shapes- i think an area where they differ seems to be the pad angles- so in thinking about that could one build the pad angles to suit a long bow, and then when you build the recurve limbs, build them with the wedges "upside down"- so that you can make the correct pad angles-
   :dunno:  dunno- just some random thoughts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
It may be the camera angle. Both pads are 12 degrees drawn. I just didn't clean them up and square them on this yet because I couldn't get to my disc sander. Thats about the only place I didn't clean up.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
justin, sorry- thats not what i meant- your pattern looks great- what i was saying was that some of the recurves seem to have vastly different pad angles than the longbows- thus creating greater deflex. so in order to marry the two- have the pad angles work for the longbow- then when you need greater angle for the recurve- get that  by building your wedges so that they create the desired angle- but would have to lay the wedges in up side down so that the back of the limb is smooth and the belly has the transition between wedge and limb.

but then i could just be talking outta the hole in ma head- never done this before- just throwing stuff out there- .
there area few bows where they are interchangeable- so how do they do it?

like i said i will be watching this one with great interest- i just love dual purpose designs- cars that fly, woman that cook etc etc    :knothead:      :knothead:    :laughing:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
oh back to your question- i think the design looks great!!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
I'll be paying close attention to this one as well. I've been wanting to try a 3 piece myself.
I thing the design looks great!   :thumbsup:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
If you beat the kind of work you did on your last bow, this is going to be epic!

This one thing is just me and my own shooting preference so take it with a grain of salt, or whatever you're inclined to take!   ;)  

For me it would be hard to shoot with the arrow rest radius so high above the index finger.  Just ingrained from so  many years of shooting with the arrow on the index finger knuckle or just above it.

I had a Martin TD lynx that shot off a rest with a pressure button way above the bow hand.  It took forever to learn not shoot hight with that bow!

I like the riser design.  Hats off to your and Kenny.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Crittergirl, don't all your bows end up in three pieces? LOL     :laughing:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
The thing to watch is the recurve limbs have more hook so the tips will be way ahead of the back of riser with 12* and likely be a bit unstable. And if you go with the recurve angle, the longbow limbs will be too far behind the riser back and have no preload.....

There are guys who make both fit the same riser, so it can be done. I would study the designs that make use of both limb styles with one riser,it can be done .

I have no interest in recurves, so I never pursued it....   :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Yeah it's just a thought... I love my longbows... I'm gonna just stick with that...

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Don't let me discourage ya,just look at a bunch and see what you like the looks of!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
I like the riser design- I may copy that for some longbow limbs I have.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
This is what I was thinking for the front profile look too. I like the way my last longbow fits my hand and tried to duplicate that a little.

Now how thick should the riser be so not it does not fail... Is there a certain amount?

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
Justin, the riser I just posted on my son in law's bow is the exact same riser I use on my 62-64" longbow.  Also a Kenny McKenzie limb design.  Both at 12 degree  I do use different limb wedge.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Now I am trying to come up with the flare design in the riser. Been just sketching things out. Am I even close to it looking decent or should I shift it down the riser some??? Opinions welcomed

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
i like the symmetry, and how the center  of the insert is parallel to the hand grip.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
I think your riser design looks great! I will say however, that the tighter the radii on your flare, the harder it will be to fit the pieces together for a tight glue line. Just something to consider.

Also, if you wanted to do a LB limb and RC limb for the same riser, I would cut the pad angles steeper for the RC limbs, and build a shim (for lack of a better term) and glue on to the LB limbs to bring the limb angle back to 12*. That's how I would approach a dual purpose riser.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
I think that I'm gonna have my hands full with just longbow limbs so I'm gonna hold off on the recurve limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©