Author Topic: Not what I wanted or expected, finished bow pics  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Not what I wanted or expected, finished bow pics
« on: November 16, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
Know that feeling you get when you take a new one out of the box, get your limb profiles cut out, and finally get to remove the tape and see your veneers under the clear glass? Well this time it wasn't nice to say the least. Let me begin by saying that I am not new to building bows, nor am I a professional bowyer, I only build for myself or friends and family. I have many bows behind me, and this is a first for this. I have used both the hose and band method through the years, this one I tinkered with the form design and this is the second bow off it. I was using bands on this one with clamps only on the riser as I usually do.

Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not what I wanted or expected, finished bow pics
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
To the point. I removed the tape from the belly side and this is what I found...

The glass was cracked from riser fade to tip, only on this limb.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
My only thought is that maybe I strapped the bands down to tight, sure would appreciate some input here. I remember someone on here way back posting something on here that they used over the aluminum strip that was rounded to protect the limbs, guess I should have paid more attention.
Thanks

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
I have used rubber many times but, wrap completely around the form.  I add a pressure strip centered over the limbs, it is usually about a 1/2" less in width than the glass.  The idea is to spread the pressure evenly across the width of the limb.  I can't tell from your picture is you have one or not.  
Sure isn't fun to find something like that,  I feel really bad for you.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Yes you need something to put pressure down centerline of limbs, bands will put nearly all the pressure on edges,with glue holding the center up it could crack it. Opposite for an air hose form, need something to hold the edges down as the hose is down the center...

Somebody user a pc of 12-2 wiring, sounded great to me as it would conform to limb profile easily.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
fill it with 420--before any sanding--keep going with it--probably be fine--crap happens!!
Mike

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
I do have some 420 on hand but not sure if it will get in the crack, worth a try. Here is what I came to realize after posting about the pressure strip and looking back, forgot the top strip!! Man that hurts. It was getting up into the wee morning hours and I was tired when I glued it up. A costly mistake! Since that was the last of my glass and core material I may just finish it up for practice if nothing else. It never hit me until I mentioned the aluminum strip in one of my first post, I feel so sharp.
Thanks for your input guys, I might as well laugh as cry. Maybe make one of them split limb bows like the wheelie guys.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
Yep; I'm that brain dead, pictures don't lie! Went back and looked through some pictures and there in my hot box near center on the left lays my pressure strips! Man this getting old is tuff!

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
So now what to do, hang it up as a reminder of what not to do or try the 420? If so would I tape on both sides of the crack or would that stuff just make the tape near impossible to remove?

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 07:06:00 AM »
I know a bowyer that says to peel the glass off and put another on it. I did it once and it worked. Just use a knife at the tip and get the glass started and it will peel off.
T.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
T-Folts, I'd like to see that done and/or get more information.  I didn't think it possible with EA-40.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 06:32:00 AM »

Either I'm brave or just dumb, bow is strung! Tried the 420, now if one of you want to swing by and draw it.

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
I had a glass issue on one of my past bows and followed the advise given here to use a heat gun and carefully remove the glass and re-glue a new piece down. It worked out perfect and had no issues. I had a couple slivers of the veneer come up while removing the glass because I was going to fast. But I filled the spots, sanded them smooth and use black glass rather than clear.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
I have done some weird things through the years, sometimes they work and at other times not so well. Many years ago while learning I build one that came out just over 100 lbs. I laid it on a bandsaw, picked the lam I wanted to saw, and cut the entire bow lengthwise. Thinned it down, glued it back up, and hunted with it for a long time after. Another time while at Ky Tradfest someone had a belly lam delaminate on the lower limb, instead of letting him throw it away I brought it home, removed lower limb belly glass, and replaced it. Didn't work out as one limb was weaker than the other even though I was sure they were the same thickness. Not sure what to do exactly on this one but since it's all I have to tinker with right now so I will continue and learn from the experience. I will update you all also so that others may learn from my mistakes.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
Here's what to do; let a friend who comes by at times to see what is in progress draw the bow. Lol

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
I think I may be getting too absent minded for this, here's a picture of where I almost cut my riser out on the wrong side! Glad I stopped to double check myself due to the other strange things I've been doing lately.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Made a string for it and shot it several times with no strange sounds so far. Still ugly seeing the crack down the bottom belly side lam but so far so good. Crack was filled with 420 and I even put a piece of thin glass on the belly side while I was putting the phenolic tips on the back. Just because the crack runs all the way out the tip.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Should have been more clear, put thin glass on the tips of the belly side, not the entire limb. You can see the black tips in the first picture above.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
I'm bettin she will be ok!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking; I busted the glass strapping it down so tightly without the pressure strip. Then into the hot box, the glue still set up under the glass and is holding. The ca glue in the crack didn't hurt either. Named the bow "Dumb Luck".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©