Author Topic: USPS strikes again: any suggestions for a fix?  (Read 295 times)

Offline H.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
USPS strikes again: any suggestions for a fix?
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Bow was fine.  Actually had hands on this bow shortly before it was shipped to me.  Didn't want it when I saw it, but contacted the guy a couple of weeks later to go ahead and send it my way.  Here's what arrived today:

:banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    

Looks like somehow the glass separated.  Not sure how to fix this, I know it's fixable, but would appreciate any suggestions.  I'm used to doing fairly minor cosmetic restorations, but never messed with delaminated glass before.  Glass is separated about 4 inches at the base of the upper limb.  Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Harris
US Army Vet (Ranger/Airborne/Air Assault) Desert Storm/Iraq/Afghanistan.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: USPS strikes again: any suggestions for a fix?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
holy smokes- i dont know what to say- insurance?
pvc tubes help prevent that somewhat- but i have still heard of mishaps with them to.
i did see another post where a similar problem existed on a bow- and some suggestions were made- will see if i can find the post

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
ok here it isd, just a few down here on the bench- one suggestion sounds do-able
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=013214

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Box looks terrible, but I wouldn't credit it for that damage.  That looks more like construction  error.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I never ship in anything besides plastic tubes now. Either PVC or the thinner drainpipe without the holes.

No thouhts here on the fix, sorry.

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
by no means am I a master bowyer, never had to fix one with that there problem. as an old world cabinet and furniture maker i may lend a tip.

looks like the separation is not up to the working portion of the limb, maybe a touch right at the end of the fade, so;

1st- put a clamp at both ends of the separation. keep them on until step 10.
2nd- clean out with a thin file, like paper thin, don't get too crazy with it.
3rd- blow out all the debris and dust with air hose. all.
4th- get a few more clamps and clamp the separation together(dry run, NO GLUE!) to see if there are any gaps at all. make a tapered block to fit the riser belly for even clamping pressure.
5th- repeat step 2-4 a few times. seriously.
6th- get glue(smooth-on, epoxy, etc.) and supplies ready, take deep breath.
7th- get your glue in there any way you can, eg. pop-cycle sticks, toothpicks, anything to get the glue in there and full coverage.
8th- put on your clamps, but don't turn all hulk like and cause a starved line. =bad.
9th- put in hot box for a few hours no hotter than say 100f, or use a couple heat lamps a foot or so away from the area.
10th- once glue is dry, remove clamps and clean it up and inspect, diligently, to see how you did. if not good, put on the wall, have a beer, if all good, sit back have a beer and praise yourself.   ;)  
11th- finish sand the area and apply new finish. have another beer.

if you tape up the surrounding areas before gluing up, it helps beyond measure with cleaning up and sanding.

good luck, take pics of the process(whatever route you take) and post them up for others to find if they run into the same problem.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
good plan Craig   :thumbsup:  
x2 on the taping first- you will be sure glad you did!

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
On my first recurve I split the glass on the back of the riser used a multi tool to peel the glass back due to gaps created when the riser slid.  Used smooth on and smooth on thinned with isopropal, cooked at 140F and saved the bow.  Put overlays over the split.  I think the secret is prepping the surfaces same as building a new one. I used inner tube to wrap the entire area before cooking.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©