Author Topic: Pre glueing power lams to wedges?  (Read 304 times)

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
Pre glueing power lams to wedges?
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »
Hey guys, I havent posted here in a good while because work has taken me away from doing many projects. I have had some time to work on leather and Kydex, but not enough time to get involved in a detailed bow build. This may sound like a dumb question but here it goes.

Are there any good reasons why you should not pre-glue your wedges and power laminations prior to your lay up? Also same question about tip wedges. Does re-heating those joints make a difference in a layup? I guess the real thing is, how many do it on a regular basis with good success, versus how many people would say Lord no don't try it, it is A failure waiting to happen? I would think that it will be no different than using action wood lams. Because you're reheating glue that has already cured once.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pre glueing power lams to wedges?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
I glue up risers that go back into the box and get reheated, never had an issue. I haven't had enough coffee yet to wrap my mind around pre gluing a tip wedge, only used one piece for that.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
As long as the parts are under pressure when you reheat them you won't have any problems. Gluing them up separate seems like an added step to me- I just glue them all up at the same time.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Not exactly the same thing but I will throw it out there for thought.  On my recurves I like a belly side over lay on the ends of the limb.  I never like the idea of cutting a string groove into the glass just seemed like it would weaken the limb.  I leave my limb a little long at lay up and super glue the end in place, with smooth on the rest of the overlay and limb.  Then glue it all together the pre glue keeps it form slipping on the form and it comes out exactly where I put it.  It is an extra step but, worth it for me and the superglue is dry in just seconds.  For me it is much easier than trying to keep everything lined up with tape etc.
Of course just about everyone is much less clumsy than me LOL.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks  for the input guys, I have had a couple where the laminations get a little Squirrley on layup. When you get that far into a set of limbs, I don't want any slippage changing my tiller.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I don't preglue power lams to wedges but I do kind of what Jess does. The only difference is I leave the very end of the limb with out smooth on . Before I lay each lam on the next I put a small bead of super glue on the end .This ensures no movement for me . I cut the first 1/4" off anyway so I don't see what it will hurt. It holds everything from moving sideways and makes certain the each part stays where I want it.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
that is an awesome idea Mike
thanks

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
I've never tested this, but red somewhere CA and Smoothon have a chemical reaction, causes it to smoke. Can't be good to breathe. Ever noticed this, Mike?

Now how many of ya are headed to the shop to test it out?  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
I haven't noticed any smoking but, take some care to keep the super glue and smooth on separate on my belly overlays.  I have noticed it smoke a little when using it as a sealer on oily woods.  I am not a big fan of super glue but, it sure is handy.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
I haven't noticed any reaction but superglue will smoke just squeeze some on a paper towel it must get hot when curing. I don't use much just on the very butt end of the limb. And like I said I cut the first 1/4 " of the butt end off anyways so I get rid of it. If you look at it though you can't tell it under the glass before I cut it. I leave about 1/8" without smooth on just the very end that's where the superglue goes.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©