Author Topic: My First 2 Bows..Daddy/Daughter set..R/D BBI Build Along  (Read 878 times)

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First 2 Bows..Daddy/Daughter set..R/D BBI Build Along
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I take it the 3/8" you refer to is,at,the tips?
If so that is a good width.
The tip overlays can wait till after tillering in case you want to cut off some (pike) to gain weight.

You can cut the string grooves just on the sides for tillering.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
Nice, Carl..

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Thanks Roy! I found Eric's BBI build from 2013 and saw where you and others really helped him out. It's been a huge help!
I didn't do a power lam so I'm a little concerned about my handle possibly popping off (mainly my bow because of the weight).
I got my handle joints married up pretty good on both bows considering the tools I've been using (jig saw, four inch grinder w/sanding disc, and a palm sander).

Macbow, Yes my tips are 3/8". My thoughts are that since I made my tips narrower, I now have the full 7/16" Ipe limb thickness to tiller and make weight. Since I made my bamboo too thick, I should have plenty of wood left after tillering to not be thinner than the boo. So hopefully I won't have any major set or overpowering issues.
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
When you tiller the bow, don't let the area just outside of the riser ends bend hardly at all. Don't even remove wood from the riser ends out into the limbs about 4 inches till you are almost done tillering. That area will bend all on it's own. Many a new guy has lost a bow because of getting that area too thin and causing a hinge there.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
That makes sense Roy. Stay away from that area, the less it moves the less chance for a hinge or handle issues.

Roy, what's the benefit to cutting the tips off at an angle and then gluing on the tip overlays?
Carl Kossuth

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
Just how I do it. You don't want real thick tips, adds weight. Causes hand shock and slows down the bow.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
Should my temporary string grooves be filed in at about 45 degrees? That's about what they look like from the pics I've seen.
Carl Kossuth

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
File the back first then hold a string in that slot and pull it down in the center of the limb on the belly side and trace that out with a pencil. Last couple bows I haven't put slots in the sides of the limbs.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
A little more progress last night. I started with mine. Got it floor tillered and temp string grooves in.

I beveled and sanded all the edges. I put it on the tree just to get a feel for it. I just flexed it enough to get the tips to move a couple of inches. It's pretty stout right now.

I'm staying away from the fades like you guys said (about 5 inches right now). I'm pretty happy with the handle glue up considering the tools I've been using and the fact that it's my first one.   :)

Question: Should I go ahead and get the fades shaped now or wait until I get the weight down a little more and the limbs flexing more?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Carl Kossuth

Offline Martin Schutte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 01:32:00 AM »
Those look awesome, it is a blessing that you have almost unlimited access to bamboo that look so good!!   :thumbsup:  

That work shop looks like it is never used it is so clean mine looks like a war zone after these couple of weeks work(knife making for a knife show)!!

Keep up the the good WIP

Martin

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 06:09:00 AM »
One suggestion Carl, put a shorter string on the bow. Put on one that lays tight against the belly when the bow is strung. Then when the limb tips are bending down to 6 inches, shorten the string so the bow is braced to about 3 inches. Then when the tips are bending to 9 inches, brace the bow to 6 inches and continue tillering. One word of caution here, because of the amount of reflex you have, sometimes at a lower brace height, the string can roll off one side and string the bow backwards. If that starts to happen, you will need to shorten the string to bend the tips more to prevent that situation. I would also get the riser cut down closer to the finished profile. It's awful thick right now.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Looks like you did a good job on the handle.
Follow Roys suggestions.
That is a lot of reflex more than I usually have. But I like the curves.
When you are tillering don't remove much from the last 6 to 8 inches of the tips you can blend them in later.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Disaster!!

I was trying to get it braced at 3 inches and POW!! I was good though. I didn't even throw anything! It split the bamboo backing too far down to pike it so I ground the entire backing off the bow (this took a while). I wasn't too upset since I had made it too thick to begin with and I had one more piece of boo left.

Despite my setbacks and mistakes, I'm enjoying myself and learning a lot as I go.
Carl Kossuth

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Well I salvaged it. I ended up tapering the belly so l would have a thicker handle section. This made for a much lighter bow but I've learned a ton. Right now it's 58" n/n @ 37ish pounds. Do you think it's worth piking to 56" to try and get a few more pounds out of?
Sorry for the lighting. I've got an antler chandelier hanging above and to the right. It throws some crazy shadows.

Carl Kossuth

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Hey that's not half bad. Bending a littl much in the inner limbs, but t not too bad considering the reflex and reflex. I'd probably just build another.

Liking might get you 5#. Will 42# be enough of a bump from 37# to risk it breaking?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
I agree it would be better to start another and finish this one up for a youth.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 03:05:00 AM »
Do not pike that bow!

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Good save on the bamboo. Like the others said, I'd leave it as is and build another. I can't remember if you're new to trad or not, but having a light bow to shoot is a good way to engrain good shooting habits.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Yep. I'm leaving it as is. I'll get some more material on the way and go at it again. How does my first ever tiller job look?

Now that I have broke mine, fixed it, and brought it back, I'm ready to finish up my daughter's armed with what I've learned. She will have a nice new bow for Christmas. I'll keep you posted!
Carl Kossuth

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
For a fist filleting job that's great. If I showed you my first filleting job your cry it was so bad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©