Author Topic: planning two BBI bows, input wanted  (Read 365 times)

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
planning two BBI bows, input wanted
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »
So I am beginning to plan on making two BBI longbows this winter/spring. One for my roommate and one for myself. The only difference in the bows will be the one for my roommate will be a lefty bow and mine a righty. What I would ideally like to end up with would have both bows be either a R/D longbows or to have a bit of recurve in the limbs. Both of our draw lengths are 32" and would like to keep the weights 45-55 at our draw length. At this stage I am just reading and researching everything I can before I get started and wanted to post here to see if anyone has any input as to how to get started, or what I need to consider before hand.

Offline Brett Leinmiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: planning two BBI bows, input wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
The Bowyers Bibles are awesome resources. You must be some long armed guys, 32 is a long draw length! That will probably dictate bows 70" long or a bit more.

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I'm planning on picking up at least the first two volumes soon and reading through them. And we are some long armed guys, I'm 6'7" and he is 6'6"

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
There are several threads on here showing a lot of techniques used in building bamboo backed bows.  Trilams seem to be pretty popular now - maybe that would be an option for you.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I always cringe when a guy wants me to build bows beyond 29" draw because my materal is more suited for 68" or less bows.
I'd suggest minimum of 68" nock to nock or longer. I know there are bowyers on here that have built shorter bows for long draw lengths, but the tillering doesn't leave room for errow in my opinion.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
I haven't gotten my hands on any good Ipe lately, to me it seems to be the good stuff is awesome and the other gets belly fractures and compression fractures even with good tiller ingredients practices. I'm goin with osage belly for a while.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
32" ! You have to be the first in your family to walk upright.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Agree with Mark on problems with IPE.
I have to order through the internet and the quality is not what it was 2 years ago.
If you could get osage would say with those draw lengths your percent of success would go up.
If your Ipe is blemmish free, no knots or discoloration then go fo it.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
Word of caution on IPE. It's been known to give some folks a severe reaction from the saw dust. Wear a respirator and gloves along with eye protection.

I would go with Osage for a belly lam if I were you, Osage is about the best bow wood on the planet. Here is a good source of Osage and you can get it already cut into bow lam dimensions.

http://www.pinehollowlongbows.com/Backing_Material_Lumber.html

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, I think I will go with the Osage, especially with our long draws it would make tillering easier. And think I will stick to a 70" ntn length for them. I just ordered all four volumes of the boyers bible and am looking forward to digging into them. Is there a profile that would help avoid stacking at the long draws?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Put some reflex into them at glue up.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Put some reflex into them at glue up.
Yup I would go deflex reflex like ol' Roy does.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 03:59:00 AM »
The reason for the sub standard ipe is that it's being grown in plantations now because of the demand for it (decking). This 'quick grown ipe' is what is getting put out there now.....it's junk for bow making and probably decks too! You can recognize it  straight away though once you know what a good ipe board weighs - the quick grown stuff is a lot less dense, tends to be lighter brown, you can see the grain quite well and you can also dent it  (just!) with your fingernail.
Supply and demand - if there is demand somebody will start supplying an inferior/cheaper version....

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Today I made a trip down to the local hardwood shop just to see what they had in stock, and if anything there might make a good bow. And once I got there I realized that I am still new to this and not sure what woods outside of the normal (Osage, ipe, yew...) are good. So I figured I would ask the experts here on tradgang.

Some of the woods I found that were interesting to me and that I'm not sure about are, jatoba, bocotite, padauk, hard maple, Curley maple, alder, and hickory. I'm sure I spelled some of them wrong.

So for a 70" R/D longbow, backed with bamboo, would any of these be good woods to try, or would it be best to stick with Osage?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Nothing finer than Osage for the belly wood.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
If you can get Osage it would be my choice.
I know of some that have made these bows from Jatoba.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©