Author Topic: new advice for my workshop.  (Read 647 times)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
new advice for my workshop.
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
I want to set up a bow making area and I need some real world advice on what I really need.

I never had my own bow drying box, does anyone have a good link for the most popular I can build.

I have a bow horse,, it was randy's from saxon archery pretty he made it from scratch.  have a few draw knives,  lost all my cabinet scrapers..

I used a tillering stick but thinking about making a tillering wall instead?

give me some ideas I want to keep it simple making bows for myself and friends.
"Us vs Them"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new advice for my workshop.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
A tiller stick is handy until first brace then a tiller tree is better and safer. I got plans for my hot box from Bingham's Projects but a Google search should give you lots of options. A farriers rasp and another finer wood rasp are both handy. Eric Krewson's Tillering Gizmo is a great tool and they are simple to make. A band saw is nice to have but not necessary. A good hand ax and a draw knife will do the same job with a little more work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
I love a double cut bastard file, use it a lot, a 4 in hand file/rasp, chainsaw/rat tail files, slim triangle files to get Nocks started. Band saw, table saw, spindle sander all very useful, though not necessities. Would like to get an edge sander someday.
   Set up a tiller tree, it is better than a tiller stick in my opinion. I used a stick at first and it works fine, but nice to stand back and see how the limbs move.
  Cabinet scraper and gizmo for the tillering.
Jonathan Mohr

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Things I wouldn't want to make bows without on a regular basis...

Chainsaw, sledge and wedges, drawknife, shellac, Nicholson #49 rasp, farrier's rasp, cabinet scraper straight and gooseneck, heat gun, bandsaw, drying box, 4" ratail for string grooves, air compressor and paint gun, and my tillering tree(rope and pulley setup).

I have a bow horse but haven't used it in years since I have a bench vice and prefer it. I don't use a notched tillering stick at all since I start em off right on the tree from the get-go.

Honestly, I trust and rely on my tillering tree to help closely balance their limbs relative to my holds such that I hope I never have to make a bow without it.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
thanks for the posts,,,, I actually do have a old  US made vice I bought at a yard sale for making bows and almost forgot until bowjunkie mentioned his..  I need the rasps and scrapers though especially the one that gets into the little dips.

do you guys remember Murry Gaskins? I used to buy staves from him but who is the best person who has them now already split and sealed?

tillering tree it is,,, and a bandsaw would be nice is there a certain size bandsaw that is the favorite (maybe a powered coping saw)
"Us vs Them"

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
Yep, I remember Murray. I bought staves and hickory backing pieces from him years ago. I recently glued up a bow with one of his backings and have just one more left.

Mike Yancy at Pine Hollow Longbows sells good staves. So does Gary Davis at Rattlestick bows. Gary's are mostly spliced billets and chased to a single growth ring on the bow's back. Good quality. Good guys to deal with.

If you can swing it, I'd get a 14" bandsaw with at least a 1 h.p. motor. Check out Grizzly tools.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
If you are on a budget Craig's List is covered up with bandsaws at times. It is hard to beat a well kept American made 12" Craftsman as a starter saw. They run around $75 on Craig's List.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
found a band saw at work I can have for free but might be too big i will get a pic and see what you guys think.
"Us vs Them"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
Build a solid work bench. Glue every joint with carpenters glue and run long screws into every joint, then anchor it to the floor. Mount the vice on one corner and pad the vice jaws with heavy leather.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Put a post on the end of your workbench to support the staves you have in your vise.

I use my post to help me straighten wood as well.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
found a band saw at work I can have for free but might be too big i will get a pic and see what you guys think.
If it fits through the door, it aint too big!
Even if you have to lay it on it's back to get it in.    :goldtooth:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
I agree, if you can get a free bandsaw, take it! Disassemble and get it in and reassemble it if you have to, they're not complex machines, but if you can get a free one, a big one at that, that is a great score!
Jonathan Mohr

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
I made a simple and cheap drying box a while back.  Its a 1' x 1' x 7' insulated box with a large hold cut in each end.  I put a small space heater up to the hole and turn it on.  I get warm air flowing over the stave.  It gets a little to warm so I crack the door to adjust the temp.  It works very well for drying out staves.  I hung it up on the garage wall and it doubles as a shelf.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
its a big one I will post pics tomorrow but its commercial grade I think but because it doesn't have a shield our safety rep cut the end of the cord off I just need to re-attach it.  

scrub-buster I like that idea,,, I've heard of them made with dimmer switches and meat thermometers sticking into the chamber but does the space heater make the wood too dry, do you go by time?
"Us vs Them"

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
I leave a roughed out bow in there for a few 1 hour sessions before tillering just to make sure its dry.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Even if the saw runs on 3 phase or high voltage, remember, you can swap out the motor. It would cost less than a new saw and you can blow your buddies away with the tree trunk splitting monster in your shop.    :bigsmyl:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 04:54:00 AM »
heres the band saw its a delta , it has the regular 3 prong wall plug that I just have to connect back together because they cut the plug off which means do not ever use this equipment,,,,,I guess the brandnew commercial ones automatically stop when you hand touches the blade or goes near it I'm not sure.

I have to figure out how to get this thing home I have a small car because of my long commute.
"Us vs Them"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 05:19:00 AM »
That's Perfect... Merry Xmas...   :)

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Nice score! Looks like you got a Made in USA one too! Getting that saved you a nice chunk of change, band saw is a real good tool for making bows. Can ruin one real quick too if one isn't careful, don't ask me how I know. ..
Jonathan Mohr

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
That's a great saw.  That will do anything you will ever need it to.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©