Author Topic: I got another one crafted  (Read 203 times)

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
I got another one crafted
« on: December 26, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
I spent Christmas day ,after the presents were unwrapped that is ,with an old Osage post I beat wedges in and split that old curvy pin knot post into several workable staves,I used a drawknife ,a handsaw ,a horseshoe Rasp ,and worked blisters on one hand but by dark I had the look of a 58 in selfbow ,the post had some grain splitting on face side so I glued the cracks ,then after it dried I linen backed it just for giggles,one limb is real nice ,but the other is curvy and real snakey to work ,but in the end I got both to work together ,I cannot shoot yet because of the constant down pour s of rain we are experiencing ,but I still need some finish sanding and some sealing to do before I take it outside,I expect it draws up near 50 lbs ,cannot wait to see what I have .
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I got another one crafted
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Can't beat osage for a selfbow IMO.  Good luck on it and post some pictures when you get 'er done.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I got another one crafted
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
That's good! Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©