Author Topic: Tru oil  (Read 360 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Tru oil
« on: December 27, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
I have an older bottle of Tru oil that has thickened and I was wondering if it can still be used. Can it be thinned back down? What with?
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tru oil
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
I always tossed mine out Dave. I switched to Formby's tung oil blend for that very reason. I can get four times the product for the same money. And it lasts and lasts.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
You wont get a smooth finish with thickened TruOil. I toss it when I see it has thickened. I always buy the small bottles because it usually gets used up before it thickens. Store it upside down on it's cap for longer shelf life. I also add enough TruOil for your project to a small container and seal the original bottle ASAP.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Pat, would chilling it ruin it you think?

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I guess I'll toss it. I's a shame though. This stuff is a bit pricey.
I'll check out the tung oil and if I buy any more tru oil it will be the 3 oz. bottle.
Dave.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Pearlie I don't know. Basically Tru-Oil is linseed oil, maybe another oil and a dryer and possibly other additives. Since I've started storing it up side down I haven't had the thickening problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
It can be thinner back with mineral spirits.  I've done it often.  

As said above, store it upside down.  Also, when you open it put only a small hole in the aluminum seal.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I just tried to use some old thickened try oil . It did not behave well.

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by monterey:
It can be thinner back with mineral spirits.  I've done it often.  

As said above, store it upside down.  Also, when you open it put only a small hole in the aluminum seal.
Thinning with mineral spirits is supposed to increase the drying time. No idea by how much as I've never needed to thin it.
Alan

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
Before you guys toss out your gelled oil. Try this. Finish sand a self bow down to say 120 grit max. Put some gloves on and hand rub the thick oil on your bow, never mind its uniformity or clumps. Just push it into the wood with your fingers very well. Let it all dry hard. Now finish sand it starting at 120 grit down to 220 grit. Apply maybe 3-4 coats of fresh oil. The only time you will find luster and richness like that is on super high end gun stocks. Don't try it on glass or skins. Just wood.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Mine had thickened to the consistency of honey, so it wasn't too bad. I thinned some of it to use as a sealer. It dried in about the same time as regular oil.
I'll try the thick application method. I'm building two bows right now and I want a high gloss on them.
Dave.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
I didn't notice any increase in drying time.  Don't remember where I got the idea to thin with mineral spirits, but it may have been printed on the bottle.   :goldtooth:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Let us know how it works Dave. I think you might like it, especially on woods that are more porous like walnut, hickory, oak, maple and cherry.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
I haven't used the thick stuff yet. I have used some of the thinned oil and it works fine. Drying time is exactly the same as new oil. I will use some thick oil and let you know.
Dave.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
Ok, I applied two coats of thick tru oil to some scraps I had lying around. I used zebra wood, cherry and wenge. The oil I used is not gelled, it's thickened to the consistency of honey.
Two coats applied heavy and rubbed in filled all but the biggest pores in the wood and it came out glossy and smooth. If I was doing this on a good piece, I would use more coats and rub it down with fine steel wool in between.
It's good to know that tru oil can be used like this or thinned with mineral spirits and still do a good job.
Dave.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Before you guys toss out your gelled oil. Try this. Finish sand a self bow down to say 120 grit max. Put some gloves on and hand rub the thick oil on your bow, never mind its uniformity or clumps. Just push it into the wood with your fingers very well. Let it all dry hard. Now finish sand it starting at 120 grit down to 220 grit. Apply maybe 3-4 coats of fresh oil. The only time you will find luster and richness like that is on super high end gun stocks. Don't try it on glass or skins. Just wood.
An excellent tip to get the TO deeper into the wood at a more porous state.  I think I'll make this a habit.  Thanks Pearl!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
You guys may know this already but if you squeeze the air out of the bottle after each time your done using tru oil it seems to keep longer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©