Author Topic: What did you do today, 2016  (Read 10586 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What did you do today, 2016
« on: January 01, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Guess it's time for a new thread.

Well, I started by sleeping in, then taking a decongestant, then going back to sleep for a bit longer.

Plans for the rest of the day/weekend include wrapping and shipping some bows, fixing basement shower, fixing wood splitter, and getting started on a Murphy bed. Sister and family coming tomorrow night. Bed has to be far enough along that it at least holds the mattress up off the floor. I'll let y'all know how it went on Sunday.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today, 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
Man this is a sad day when Dave is cranking out more bows than me .... I think I only built 3 for 2015. My New Years resolution is to manage time better and get more projects, including bows finished. 16 bows for 2016 sounds nice but I think 6 is more realistic.

Woke up 8:30, starting to get things together to go to the in-laws today. Wife is pregnant so even minor things like leaving on time seem to turn into disasters .....

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
I don't feel like doing very much today. Catching up on some reading. Maybe I'll shoot a few arrows with my niece and nephew later.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Guess I'm going to be helping a grandson put brakes on the front of his Durango.  Hoping to put it off till tomorrow when the temperature is expected to soar into the low forties.

Between the holidays and the cold I've been feeling trapped in the house.  Maybe time for a bunny bowhunt.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Started straightening some shafts that I acquired on the TGMM giveaway. Making these for the deer/hog hunt in La later this month.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
I am refinishing my bow. Today I put on the final base coat of clear and now it is ready for thunderbird clear, a few coats then dry time. Tomorrow I'll spray it with satin.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
I made some adjustments to my bandsaw, then I gave my miter saw some badly needed TLC... squared everything up, lubed it, put on a new blade. It cuts like a new one. It would have been a good day if that's all I got accomplished.

I also finished redesigning and building my jigs for BBO bows, trilams and such. I'm much happier with it's versatility and the recurve design this time, but won't REALLY know until a bow comes off of it.

Just taking a little break now, then I'm headed back out for round two. It's 3 pm, I've been up since 3 am.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Just started on a takedown for my own use. Might take a while as i have couple others going as well.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
I didn't do nuffin today...
But the guys are going to be here early in the morning and we are gonna make bows all day...

I'm about ready to jump off a bridge. My shoulder is still hurting so I can't pull a bow, my back hurts, and now I have to get a blood test for lyme disease. Pulled a tick off my belly 6 weeks ago and it will not heal up. Seen a doctor yesterday, he said tick bites take a while to heal, then he said your belly looks red, ah chit... So I get the blood test tomorrow morning. I hope 2016 is better for me than 2015 was.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Decided to take out a buck hide from earlier this year and flesh it out and gonna make it into rawhide for backing some future bow projects I'm about to get to work on.

I am working on getting the wood/ash (alkali) solution just right using an egg method I learned to test the strength of the solution to get the hair to slip. Then it's a matter of letting that soak for a few days, get the hair off, and then re-scraping the flesh side and tacking it up to dry.

This weekend is going to be fairly decent weather; no rain and highs in the 50's. So once I get the hide in the solution to soak, I'll begin working on the next few bows. One's for my uncle, he gave me a few black ash staves of all things and wants me to make a bow for him      :thumbsup:
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Roy, we need to talk. I know Lyme disease. I have tons of info and contacts. Most tests given by family doctors are notoriously unreliable, even my own doc told me that about the test he gave me.... 4 years after he/it failed me.

Oh wait... you're texting me... ;^)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
Waiting on your text reply.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
Last tick bite I had, doc told me that the tests weren't reliable, can have a false reading. Said I could get the test or get the antibiotics and take em. I said write em up.

I had the flulike symptoms about a week after the bite and it was real red.(the bite, Roy)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
I helped my wife refurbish a t.v. stand then got the scales put on a knife blade I've been working on. After dinner I got them sanded down and a coat of c.a. glue on 'em. Busy year already. I can remember 2015 like it was yesterday.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

Grandsons bow first time strung up.

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
Just finished rebuilding my bow oven. New insulation and new lights and new reostat. Just refurbishing my forms and then I'll be ready to glue up another.  Want to do more builds this year.  Want to be ready for the 2016 swap.

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
Got the hickory stick bending to 28". First bow that I've done since I altered my tree to account for limb timing, hope I got it right! It's 70" ntn, 65#@28". Planning to temper the belly, nor sure if I should reflex the tips a little. I left the last 8" stiff. It has 1" of follow upon unstringing settling to 3/4", the best of any selfbow I've made yet.
Jonathan Mohr

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
I spent the day working on the bows I'm building for my niece and nephew. Both of these bows gave me a few problems, but in the end, they both shoot well and look good.
I'll post pictures after I get some finish on them.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
My new year is starting kind of crappy.  I had all intentions of hunting with my flintlock today (second favorite thing to my longbow), but a case of muscle spasms in my back got me sidelined.  What a wasted day.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
That happens when ya get Older..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©