Author Topic: What did you do today, 2016  (Read 10687 times)

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today, 2016
« Reply #400 on: May 05, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »
Congrats Justin! That is exciting for sure.

I ordered up some green glass and green future wood riser wood. Going for a retro bow look with this one.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: May 05, 2016, 01:11:00 AM »
Fancy fletching for sure. Can't beat a wild bird for taste. The smile tells the story.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: May 09, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
What is more important to keep in the fridge, Unibond 800 or the usual stuff? I have no doubt, but my woman is not so sure.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: May 09, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
LMAO..   :)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: May 09, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
I'd stick with IMODIUM.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
When I got home from work this afternoon, I found a big bag that the mailman delivered. Inside was almost two pounds of tanned seal skin remnants that I ordered a few days ago.
Seal skin makes really slick arrow rests and strike plates and it looks cool on a bow too.
I'll be putting some on my swap bow.
   :archer:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
Yesterday I started work on a riser I had glued up last winter for my TD longbow that I hunted with last year.

Glued the first one up with some suspect EA-40 and have paid for it.

After a couple repairs, I just made a new blank out of phenolic and bocote and started fitting limbs to it yesterday.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Redonefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
https://goo.gl/photos/7aRT2jnJcpN6mPL69    <---pic in link  Worked on this little bow for my munchkin.. trying to see how artsy I am... not very lol

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
I was at a stoplight today and a guy ran into the back of my work truck at about 20 mph??..Thankfully its a 2003 full size chevy with a steel bumper..I have a little headache and sore lower back so I was unable to work in my shop after work today.. I have a 40# longbow sitting on my bench ready to glue up.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Tonight I spent 2 hours on a skinning job.  Ended up with 11 splices and nothing but little scraps left when I was done.  You guys are only getting a teaser picture.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
I set out to grind lams for the next ASL.  Still one taper short. I. Messed up a lot of wood but have the process pretty well mastered now.

There is a lot to be said for sourcing lams from a pro.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: May 10, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Check out what I found! Couldn't pass this guy up after someone ran him over right outside of my neighbor hood. Skin was perfectly intact too! I dodge em or save em if I can, but if they are already gonners I don't like letting them go to waste.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »
79 inches.  That's a snake!!  One thing I Don't miss from Oklahoma!!  

I do miss the dramatic weather but prayers for all those caught up in the recent storms.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: May 11, 2016, 12:23:00 AM »
Nice black rat snake.  They look great on an osage bow
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: May 11, 2016, 05:02:00 AM »
Redonefive that is a beautiful bow. Where in the Panhandle are you. We moved from Alliance 10+ years ago.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: May 11, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Scrub buster I am glad you called this a rat snake, we have really big bull snakes around here that have the same pattern but are greenish. I have gone back and forth between calling this kind a rat snake and a bull snake of dark coloring. I'll stick with rat snake if that's the consensus.

Offline Redonefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: May 11, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
BenBow, I'm here in Alliance.. I'm a SW Missouri Native, But came here 5 years ago for.. you guessed it... The Railroad... Might be leaving soon for the same reason. Things have taken a bad turn here with the economy and Coal regulations etc.. Anyhow, It's not a bad area, I prefer Chadron and Crawford though..  We do a lot of stump shooting in the ridge. Our muzzleloader club has a nice archery course/tourny during our rendezvous (Fur Trade Days)...  

Thank you for the compliments on the bow as well, going to try to finish it up today and make a little string.. i wish i had ordered some red b50, but im too impatient to wait now lol..

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by EwokArcher:
Scrub buster I am glad you called this a rat snake, we have really big bull snakes around here that have the same pattern but are greenish. I have gone back and forth between calling this kind a rat snake and a bull snake of dark coloring. I'll stick with rat snake if that's the consensus.
That looks like a big black rat snake to me.  Here is one I found a few years ago.

If you cut it one row of scales over from the belly you can save the belly scales and get 2 full length backings out of one snake.  The belly scales look good on a bow.  

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
I love that idea, I've never used a belly to skin a bow, does it lay down well? Can you get a good finish on it? That's a killer snake

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: May 11, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
The belly skin is thicker and I think it is similar to a thin rawhide backing and adds some protection to the back of the bow.  Just like on the back skin, you have to remove the scales after you glue it down.  I use a razor blade to get them loose.  Here is a bow I made a few years back with black rat snake belly scales

And here is one that a friend of mine backed with them.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©