Author Topic: 62" One piece recurve Follow along(I replaced some pictures on page 4,Satin finish)  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The bow press kit (the 1" wide metal strip with 2 3/8" bolts and a 1/2" bolt with a handle) is what you are talking about?
I have 1/2" spacers to get the straps back out of the way of the air hose.
you need some room there, I had to buy longer 3/8" bolts for my 1-3/4" form.
See how the hose is sticking out from the form, that is why.It causes problems if you don't.
You form is the most important thing.

Thanks for looking
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the information.  Yes I am talking about the kit. I have my 1.5 inch wide fromica that was included in my kit glued centered on my form, should I be using tape to secure my stack I  the center of this strip? I noticed you have washers on the side of your form is this their purpose?.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
if your glass and laminations are 1-1/2"
your form need to be also.

Yes washers on the side
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
What material is your form made from? I appreciate your advice.
I hate to think I'm gonna need to start over from scratch on my form because I picked too thick of plywood, I have a lot of time invested in it at this point (mine is using the low d/r style  from binghams). I couldn't find any ply that was a true .5 at my local shop.
Not trying to hijack your thread I just thought this question didn't merit it's own thread.
Thank you again sir.
Ty

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
That is what you need to do is start a post, maybe someone lives close to you and can thickness sand it down.
Mine is 1-3/4", 2 pieces 3/4" plywood and a 13/32, I thickness sanded the 13/32 down before glue up.

Don't get in a hurry.
}}}}===============>>

Offline Horn Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Great info so far.  I am going to try your technique on doing the fades on my next bow. Can't wait for more updates and to see this bow glued up.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
Ewokarcher - look in your local phone directory for cabinet makers and get on the phone with your problem!
Nice build along Mark.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
So I got all the buggers cleaned off a ran the bow through the thickness sander to 1-5/8" wide,sanded the edges and check for limb twist.
I use this setup to get the limb tips right.

I have a little twist on one limb.
so I started shaping the the last 8" of the limbs checking for limb twist, every thing is going good.

earlier in the week I made templates for the cut out of the back of the riser, one to tape to the bow and the other to clamp the overlays in place for glue up

So I mark the line a cut out with the band saw

see the template laying under the riser

The dry run looks good, black phenolic and Koa.
So smooth-on and in the curing oven.

}}}}===============>>

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
So lookie here this morning I cleaned the booger off the overlays and put a string on.
The tiller is real close. I had some running around and wanted to go hunting today  noon -2:00pm saw some does and a small buck.

}}}}===============>>

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking good    :thumbsup:
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Ben
}}}}===============>>

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
That's a good looking bow!

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks great. Thanks for taking the time to take us along.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
I guess it's ok..   :)

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
Some sweet curves there to be sure! Nice work!
Jonathan Mohr

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
I like the style. Cant wait to see the full draw.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Guy's
You too Roy
}}}}===============>>

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I printed off a template for the back of the bow and glued it on

I used my robo sander free hand to the lines and some bur tools the finish the arrow rest. I'am 1/8"  past center.

I drilled the grip hole with a 1-1/8" Forstner bit.
Traced the grip and site widow and sanded with the robo sander.

I wanted to do the rounding over different than I usually do so I made a 2" radius on a piece of poster board and used it shaping the riser Back (half of the bow)

I like the feel in the hand better on  this one.
I put a coat of shellac on the riser to show the scratches I missed.
MORE SANDING needed!

}}}}===============>>

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pretty riser.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice lines on that riser. Do you want my address so you can send it to me when you're done since the shelf is on the right side for me?    :goldtooth:
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©