Author Topic: Padauk  (Read 335 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Padauk
« on: January 16, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
Has anyone used this in risers? Anything I should know about it before using it?!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Padauk
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
It's super pretty and crazy stable.  Wear a dust mask!

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Good in a one piece. I would laminate it for a TD riser. Bleeds a lot to.
High on Archery.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
It bleeds as stated.  Don't use for handle overlays it crumbles when sanded thin.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Careful sanding it thin for overlays as it can shatter. Did on me and drove a 1/16" wide by 1/2" long splinter into the bone on my middle finger. Dr. had to get a pair of pliers to pull it out.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Owch benbow, how do I keep it from bleeding? I was planning on using it in the riser paired with zebra....
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
I am not a real big fan of it for the reasons stated above.  The color fades away in time and it very open pored and can be tough to fill.  Having said that I use it on occasion when it is requested.  Guess I am trying to say it isn't my favorite but, nothing really to bad about it either.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
My experience has been the same as Jess
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Ouch Galen! I had a similar experience today, had a splinter go clear through the middle of my index finger and out the other side while grabbing lumber off a shelf. The board slid down quickly in my hands and shot it through. Never had that happen before, hope I never do again, had to pull it out with pliers.
Jonathan Mohr

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 02:11:00 AM »
It's also the only core wood that i've ever seen fail in a tri-lam. It sheered along the grain....
I wouldn't use it unless you really have your heart set on it, using it next to zebrano might be 'interesting' when it comes to getting it all finished up.
The real killer for me is the colour it ends up after time....dirty brown....
Other options for a red wood - bubinga or bloodwood.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
I had it fail as a veneer under clear glass too. It would fret under the glass and pull free leaving white lines across the limb.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
I used it once in a takedown recurve handle in combination with Bubinga, but from bright vermillion color it soon turned into dull brown. I still have a large plank and since it is minus 10 C outside I have to consider   :rolleyes:

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Not a bowyer, but I enjoy woodworking and Padauk is one of my all time favorites.  Some say the dust is like poison ivy for your nostrils (I used a reapirator).  I've only used it in 1/8" thickness and it was a demon. Most wood that I've deal with gives you some warning. Padauk just laughs ar you and says "Gotcha good, didn't I? Start over."

Stay to big pieces and then show the bow off.  Sunlight will make that thing come to life.
Micah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©