Author Topic: Pre-forming all wood bow?  (Read 502 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pre-forming all wood bow?
« on: January 21, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
Hey guys.
Couple weeks ago I was playing around with my bow jig.
Just moving around the posts, changing height of the posts etc.

Each time I made a change I'd clamp down a slat to see how it looked.

Anyway, once I was satisfied with the layout, I ended up leaving the slat clamped in the jig for the last couple weeks.

Went to look at it last night and the slat kept most of the curves when removed from the jig.

So it got me thinking...What if I kept a dry run/practice run of a tri lam clamped up for a couple weeks before I put glue to it.
...or for those with heat boxes you could even "heat treat" it for a bit.

Seems that if the wood was pre curved before gluing it would reduce stress on the glue, reduce "bounce back" after gluing, and might even prestress the wood into holding it's unbraced shape better which in theory could lead to reduced thickness in limbs ie..more speed and less vibes.

Any thoughts/experiences?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pre-forming all wood bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
I've wondered the same thing. Curious as to what others think.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
I think for sharp curves like recurves
pre-shaping the tips first is a good idea but for mild bends like in a R/D design I think you get better performance by forcing the shape at glue-up by clamping the lams to the form and letting the glue hold the shape once it is off the form. I get this thought from Perry reflexing, gluing in the reflex rather than pre-forming the shape before glue-up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
I doubt if you would gain much of anything. Without the glue holding the shape, it would straighten right out when tillered. But I do reflex my tips prior to glue up. I dunno know why, just some dumb thing I do.. Right Bowjunkie? LOL..   :)

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
"some dumb thing I (you) do"

you said it not me   :)
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Shouldn't you be out in the swamp hunten gators or frogs or weeding your flower garden, boy?    :)

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
I pre-shape the wood lams for my Scythian style bows -- both glassed back & belly and all wood typs.  I hot water soak the lams for 4-6 hours at 105F or more, then clamp them into my open-top rubberband jig, starting in the center and working out to the tips.  Then I let them sit for a week to dry in place.  

When it's time to glue-up I'm not trying to force all that springiness into that extreme reflex/deflex/recurved shape at the same time.  Works A LOT better for me!  WIthout pre-shaping it literally takes 3 good men to hold things in place while clamping up the shape.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
I pre bend the lam that runs up the ramps of my glass lam ASL builds.  That is the spot with the greatest potential for a poor glue joint and also a point of considerable stress.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
I knowed I forgot sompin
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 03:02:00 AM »
No it's not a great idea. Pat is correct about perry reflex.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments Gents.    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
You darn engineers... The wheel was already invented too, John..    :laughing:   LOL

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
I know...I know...but so have been carbon fiber, fiberglass, and railguns...but here we are trying to glue a few pieces of wood together and expect it to bend over and over again....    :banghead:    
...also..just gluing a r/d bow up all at once isn't really quite what Perry reflex is all about..just sayin.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
I don't worry about Perry reflex. I just worry about Roys reflex..   :)

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
The pre-forming helps me to keep the glue up a little easier on steeper belly ramps for instance, performance wise I really don't know for sure, but anything that helps the glue up to be easier with less glue line foul ups will help performance, emo different materials will have different results I really am not interested in researching it but would gladly appreciate knowing the results from someone who has.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©