Author Topic: eye dominance  (Read 525 times)

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
eye dominance
« on: January 26, 2016, 05:32:00 AM »
hi friends...

recently i have discovered that my dominant eye   ( from this:  http://www.huntersfriend.com/eye_dominance_issues.htm  ) is my left eye and i am right handed.

and i like to shoot with both eyes open... but as you can guess accuracy is not very well with this situation...

i would like to hear from you if you have situation like me. i mean opposite eye dominance with your hand...

best.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: eye dominance
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:48:00 AM »
I think then the issue becomes which is more dominant, the eyes or the hands? Would it be easier to train shooting with non dominant eye, or non dominant hand?
  I think this may vary between individuals, and you may need to spend some time determining what will work best for you.
  I would probably try to train my eyes as the muscle memory of my shot sequence is so ingrained, I wouldn't want to change anything with it.
Jonathan Mohr

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
There my be some good info on the shooters form forum on this subject as well.
Jonathan Mohr

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:00 AM »
If you shoot instinctively, eye dominance shouldn't really matter. Just let your brain take care of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm cross dominant, aim by the instinctive method, and never had an issue. That said, I don't think my dominant eye is a LOT more so than the other.

When it comes to other tasks, including shooting other weapons, I'm fairly ambidextrous. Either hand, either eye.

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
thank you all...

i am trying to learn instinctive shooting... it is really challenging... but getting there...

when i close my dominant eye i know i can shoot better but in this case i loose the joy of watching my arrows fly...

atm i am trying to train my eyes and brain (Pat  :D  ) to catch the target and  shoot...

just wanted you opinions...

this site has thought me a lot of things... and keep teaching...

best.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
With only one eye open you loose your binocular vision and depth perception.
Be consistent with everything else(form, release, etc.)and your brain will put the arrow in the target.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
Some people say they can shoot cross-dominant and it doesn't matter.  Maybe they can, but I just can't wrap my mind around it.  If that actually is the case, then it shouldn't matter where you draw your bow to and anchor.

Your dominant eye is the eye that is pinpointing a straight line to the target.  That's why a typical person wants an anchor point that puts the arrow directly below the pupil of the dominant eye.  Otherwise, the arrow is pointing at an angle to the target when at full draw.

I recently discovered that my 9 year old son, who is right handed is left eye dominant.  He's been shooting a bow right handed and always cocked his head kind of funny when he was at full draw.  Now I know why.  He was automatically trying to line up his dominant eye with the arrow.  So I had him switch to shooting left handed and with the arrow resting on his knuckle rather than on the rest.  It was a little weird for him at first - even the action of nocking an arrow left handed - but once he got on to it, his form improved immediately and his windage on shots greatly improved.

If I were you, I'd give shooting left handed a try.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
I'm cross dominant. Right handed with dominant left eye. I snap shoot and don't really even notice. But thinking about it now I do turn my head so my left eye is more forward and in a straighter line.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 03:24:00 AM »
The eye is the important bit. You can learn to do anything either left or right handed.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
My dominant eye is weaker than the left.  Hence right handed. So I keep both eyes open. It works for me.  Shooting instinctive anyway.  Watch the Australian Open Tennis on now, its all instinctive just like most sports.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©