Author Topic: 2016 Bow Swap  (Read 17276 times)

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016 Bow Swap
« Reply #320 on: July 05, 2016, 03:28:00 AM »
My new limbs are now glued up and i'll be doing a bit on them today. Weight should be good this time  ;)

Offline Dan76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #321 on: July 05, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »
I don't mind waiting for whatever I get. I'm just glad to be a part of the swap. All going well I will be shipping out next week. All these heavy bows being made by mistake can come to me if you want to get rid of them guys   :D  

Dan

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #322 on: July 05, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
X3 for me, I shipped on time last year. I think Kelly may have posted the list backwards.

I should be wrapped up by the end of this month, took on several new clients this year that played havoc with my schedule.

Here are the two I'll be gluing up soon. The first is a BBO with walnut tapered mid lam. The second is a very old bow blank that will get a boo back. Not sure which one will be the final bow.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #323 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:00 AM »
New limbs are 3# over my finished weight  :)  Perfect  :)
I'm off to my exotic wood suppliers today but will get them finished off this week.
I finally got around to making one of those cable 'strings' with some aluminium hooks at the ends that I saw on South Cox's video on youtube. they allow you to string a bow and check string tracking/limb twist before the limbs are cut to width It's a good job I did because one limb did not want to pull straight when pulled on the measured centreline. I had to offset that limbs 'center' by about 2mm to get it to track true. Gluing/shaping the nocks has never gone so quickly because I was super eager to see the outcome once the limbs were cut and it was actually strung.....perfectly straight pulling limbs with zero twist.
I'm very glad I took the time to make one of these set ups and would highly recommend it. I've already worked out some improvements or Mk11

Offline PZee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #324 on: July 06, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
Mike,

Do you have any designs for MK2 please, if you don't mind.

Thanks

Pete
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
I got my bow in the mail from krausus today, thanks man it turned out really pretty

Offline Wagstaff

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
I recieved a really great Hill Style Longbow, built by Razorback..

This thing is definitely well made, and even I can shoot it!..lol

The riser appears to be Zebra with long thin fadeouts, and hard maple core lams..

Thanks Very Much, Tony..  You do good work, bud.!

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Glad you like it.  :)

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2016, 03:11:00 AM »
Pzee - they are just in my head! I'll post some pictures when I get my bow done.

Offline PZee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »
Thanks Mike
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
Mike where can i find that video on YouTube that shows the jig you mentioned for checking limb alignment

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Been awhile again. Work has just been sucking the life out of me lately. No energy left to even surf TG.

If anyone is going to be late on mine, it's all good. I'm in no hurry (although always anxious.)

As for my recipient, I better get on cutting this bow in half to get it to him by the end of the month. Time's a-wastin'.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2016, 03:01:00 AM »
It was a video by Stalker Stick bows. I think South Cox the owner of that company posts on here?
When I saw his method it was like a light going on....of course that's how to do it!

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Im ready to ship on Monday.
 Their is a looming strike for Canada Post. Hopfuly they get things settled and dont strike.
 The bow is in its shipping tube ready to go. My recipient should be happy. Its pretty quick, and very quiet. The weight fell in the range my recipient asked for thank godness.
theirs a fly in my soup

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
My bow is ready for finishing. It's 8 pounds overweight and I'll reduce that a bit more with final sanding, but boy can it spit out a heavy arrow! Eat your Wheaties victim!!    ;)  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #335 on: July 09, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Dave, I love cereal for breakfast. But honestly, I can wait for my bow. We are in the process of months vying, very complicated, and I don't know when I will get to shoot it. Shipping address stays the same.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Well someone should be getting a tube in the mail in a week or so. Shipped today.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #337 on: July 12, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
OK, started the ball rolling again! The bow had been roughed out months ago. Looks like it might be a few pounds over, but I'll let my recipient send it back to me for a new bow if he doesn't like this one. Most people on here don't seem to mind when the question is asked.

I don't necessarily have to cut this thing in half, so I've considered just finishing it up and sending it to be done. But I really wanted to make a 2 piece finally, and what better person to practice on than my poor victim?

Planning to build it Big Jim style. I don't usually put handle overlays on my bows (or tip overlays for that matter.) But it seems I'll need to for this. Otherwise my fiberglass sleeve will be protruding awkwardly or I'll have to grind through the back glass in way of the sleeve which would seem to be a bad choice for bow strength/longevity.

So, today I ground some more wood down to make cherry and walnut overlays (handle and tip) to match the lams. Things are glued up and I'll start roughing out the handle later this week in preparation for the big cut this weekend if all goes as planned. I might just make the end of the month after all. Well, that'll be a miracle, but I'll be close.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #338 on: July 12, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
Hey David, that take down sleeve ain't so bad.      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #339 on: July 13, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
:laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©