Author Topic: 2016 Bow Swap  (Read 17215 times)

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016 Bow Swap
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 02:28:00 AM »
Very nice! Great job!
Jonathan Mohr

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks guys, Im excited to see what everyone cones up with next.  
Kelly I'll pm you to confirm when I have shipped,  it's gonna be next week. I've gotta make the rounds at our local range with this before I can give it up.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 02:59:00 PM »
Nice bow, but is it allowed to be done so quickly.   ;)    ;)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Very nice..

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Horn Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
Nice looking stick Ewok!!!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
Ewok,

That is one fine looking bow, think I would love it if it comes my direction.

That said, I don't know that if it was me, that I could part with my first one.  I still have my first selfbow, BBO, and glass recurve and longbow.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
Beautiful work Ewok!  Love that red!  

Haven't even started planning mine yet.  Garage has been too cold.  I have the next couple days off work but the high is forcasted to be around 15, so probably wait another week.  Need to look through my wood and glass stack and see what I have.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Just finished gluing mine up on the stat long weekend we just had.  Wenge riser with a mosaic (African ebony, bloodwood and maple). Limbs are  Shedua Ovangkol with a hickory core.  I'm going to do a overlay of bloodwood over my lam seams. I used clear glass. For the tips I'm thinking of using more African ebony and some kind of contrast.

I'll get some pics up once I'm a little further alo ng.  :)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
EwokArcher ship to your bowyer anytime you want just PM me the tracking number and I will mark you as shipped.

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
got my material in this week, this bow is going to be a shedua riser with padauk and black glass accents with bocote limbs, got a little done this evening I plan to glue up this weekend if all goes well

Offline Horn Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
I got most all my material in for my victims bow. I am going with zebra wood riser with a Macassar Ebony I beam, cedar veneers with actionboo core and red accent stripe in limbs. The only thing I got left to find is what material I want to use for the tips. Hopefully my victim likes this combo.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Well the glass folks are off and running for sure. there is some sweet bows in the mix. I like it.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
Been working on several, will see which is the best to send to my recipient.  The hackberry came in at the bottom end of the desired weight, but seems to shoot fairly well.  I think I'll take an inch or so off of the limbs to gain a little of the weight back.  The osage is tillered to 22" so far and looking good, still holding around 2" of reflex.  Hope to get both bows shooting next week sometime. I also have an elm and a hophornbeam roughed out as a plan C & D just in case.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
Any recommendations on shipping a 64" bow within the states?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
I have used carpet tube (free at most carpet places) , wrap bow in saran wrap, then bubble wrap or newspapers. Ship USPS Priority. If you go to USPS site and make an account, you can print your label and save a few bucks on shipping.

I have shipped this way for as little as 10-12 bucks in nearby zones, plus a bit of insurance.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Like Kenny, for years when shipping longbows I used the carpet tubes with round plywood inserts screwed and taped into place, they worked fine until...............the USPS crushed the carpet tube and broke a bow. Of course the USPS said it was packaged wrong and refused to pay the $900 it was insured for.   There went 30 hours of my time and $150 in materials to make the customer another bow. Now the shipping cost is include as part of the original sales price.  It hurts to send out a 1K item and not have it protected as much as reasonably possible.
For longbows I now use schedule 40 PVC with a glued and taped end cap on one end, and a screw in cap with a holding screw and tape on the other end.  In addition, I take several pictures of it with my cell phone while it is on the USPS or UPS scale to prove how it was packaged.  All total, with the PVC tube, PVC parts, shipping, and insurance, it usually costs between $40-50 every time I sell and ship a longbow.  Take down longbows are shipped the same way.
For one piece and take down recurves I build a box out of 1 ½’ x 2” fir, 3/8” plywood, and torx wood crews.  The inside is padded with bubble wrap/foam and the bow is inside of a bow sock.  The plywood box actually cost less to make but takes more time to make.   All said, the cost is about a wash with the PVC.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Ouch Walt, never had any trouble but I'm taking notes!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
I've had two broken in shipping with card board tubes. PVC all the time now plus insurance..

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
I've had two broken in shipping with card board tubes. PVC all the time now plus insurance..
They probably would have broke anyways!!!    :laughing:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©