Author Topic: 2016 Bow Swap  (Read 17235 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016 Bow Swap
« Reply #440 on: August 07, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Well, I'm sanding the finish off my bow today and starting over. I used some "older" buffalo hide I had trying to finish the last of it. Sprayed a couple coats and let her set a couple days to dry. Started sanding this morning to remove a few dust specks and a small run and it's a little gummy. So I'm starting over with some fresh. That stuff was old and I new better but tried anyways.   :banghead:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #441 on: August 08, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Jeff -- WOW!! That bow sure is a looker!!  
Paul -- beautiful tiller on that longbow!  

I hope one of those is showing up on my doorstep soon!   I keep checking the mail a couple times every day, but sometimes I think maybe the postman forgot where I live!!
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #442 on: August 10, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
Shipped yesterday, should be there Friday. Keep your eyes peeled for a long tube, happy hunting!    :archer2:

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #443 on: August 10, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I just got back from the post office. My bow is on it's way. My apologies to my victim for taking so long.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #444 on: August 10, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Went to the post office today and their was a tube waiting for me their. Got it home and found that it had a beautiful two piece take down in it.
 THANK YOU goes out to Dan76 for this awesome bow. Shoots very nice, i love it.
Thanks again Dan.
Steve.

tb  https://imgur.com/gallery/b2mth
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #445 on: August 10, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
Hey, we've got some stuff moving!!  I'm excited.  If my bowyer hasn't shipped yet, don't rush.  I'm excited to get a bow, but I can wait -- maybe  :)
I'd rather it take a bit than have you rush and hurt the bow or yourself trying to get it done quickly.  But if you have shipped ----    :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :pray:
Joe

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #446 on: August 11, 2016, 03:08:00 AM »
Some lovely bows being posted. fingers crossed one of them is coming this way  ;)
I've been too busy to get much done on mine, it still needs final sanding and finishing....

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #447 on: August 11, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »
sporthunter... really liked your bow...
this year is going little low but very nicely... i would like to know more about it. how it is build, thickness, length, etc..etc.. i really want to own one for myself.

re: kellyg: still hanging here and trying to solve my movement to Ankara issue. i will let you know my address soon.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #448 on: August 12, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Got a beautiful bamboo backed bow in the mail today, thanks sport hunter i like it i will post some pics later

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #449 on: August 12, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Great to hear Jason! Always good to see bows survive shipping. Hope you enjoy the bow. Now I want to make another, it turned out great. Making bows for others always pushes my attention to detail and I think the bow probably turned out better than if I did it for myself and that very old stave deserved my best effort.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #450 on: August 14, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
Ink - The finished dimensions were 7/8" wide at the handle and either 1/2" or 3/8" at the nocks, maybe Jason can confirm accurate dimensions as I no longer have the bow. The bow is 69" nock to nock and probably 70 to 70.5" long total. I started with a 72" blank.

The back was bamboo that was tapered from the handle thinning towards the tips, the belly wood was what I think is cedar, at least it smelled like cedar, the grain was rift sawn and the rings were very thin. The back was glued up with smooth-on with about 1" of backset, it finished with about 1/2" of string follow.

The bow followed the 5/8 rule for the most part meaning the belly thickness is about 62.5% of the limb width. The belly is D shaped, basically flat back and half moon belly. Here is a link to some old school longbow plans to give you a better idea.  
 http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery/bow-plans.pdf

http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery-plans.html

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #451 on: August 14, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
thank you for your informative reply...

but cedar? makes a bow? seems like made it already  :D
good work mate..

best.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline peanut39350

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #452 on: August 14, 2016, 03:40:00 PM »
Ink, Its 1/2" at the nocks

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #453 on: August 14, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Came home Friday night and saw a few packages had been delivered. A couple hours later I saw a long tube someone had placed in the corner and I about flipped! I asked daughter unit 2 why she hadn't told me about it and she just shrugged. I got all excited to tear it open and then I noticed that my builder packaged things like I did, with some 18ga brads holding the wooden plug in the end. And then my world deflated. It was DU2's bow, just sent back from when she was in Oregon with grandpa earlier this summer. She said, "Oh cool." then took it and walked off. Little stinker.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #454 on: August 14, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
In other news, life has been crazy but managed to have the day to myself today. So I went to the range this morning and spent the afternoon in the shop. Attempt #2 has been cut in half and put back together again:

With a little luck, this one will make a bow.

On Friday, I stopped by my distributor to pick up a gallon of Krystal satin and had a great conversation with a guy there who really seemed to know his stuff. No matter how hard I try, I'm never 100% happy with the finish on my bows. Left with some great advice and flow enhancer which I hope will get me that last little bit.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #455 on: August 14, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Canopyboy,  I used Krystal for the first time on this year's trade bow, and I loved it.   I just used it straight till the last coat, and for that I added a bit of lacquer thinner and it worked great.  Not sure if that's the right thing to do, but it worked lol.
Joe

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #456 on: August 15, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
Joe,

According to the manufacturer, you can thin it up to 10% which can help. I only see the problems with the gloss finish, and even then they are very subtle. Looking forward to using a little retarder on this bow to see how it goes, although the last coat will be satin and likely cover everything up anyhow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #457 on: August 18, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm down to 2 final coats on my swap. Yea, I've been dragging this out. Sorry to my recipient. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll get one coat done then the final on Saturday. I let each coat cure for 24 hours then a light sand before the next. Only way I can get a decent finish without a dust free shop. Plan to ship on Monday.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #458 on: August 19, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
Folks I apologize I was out of town for a bit. I will get caught up here to see were we are at.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me, I am way behind. But I enjoy this work compared to what I came back to at work.

Sorry for not being on it this year.

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
Its all good Kelly! Your awesome.
theirs a fly in my soup

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©