Author Topic: First bow build, question.  (Read 384 times)

Offline encore4me

• Trad Bowhunter
First bow build, question.
« on: January 31, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
Building my first bow, hickory board bow. Why is my bow maintaining a bend after being unstrung. It is not much but it was only strung for a few minutes while I was tilliring it. I'm afraid that it will get worse with use and being strung longer periods.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First bow build, question.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
That is called set, most all wood bows will take some set during the tillering process and being shot in after tillering. It's not uncommon to lose 1 to 2 Inches from your starting profile.

bow wood that is not completely dry will take more set than properly cured bow wood.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
That is normal with a board bow, especially if you did not reflex it a bit. Also if the wood wasn't good and dry, that will cause it too. You can't expect a flat board to maintain it's flat shape after being bent so many times under pressure. You have any pictures?

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
Something that may help would be to trap the back. Hickory is so strong in tension that it may help reduce the final amount of set if you trap it before tillering. I usually also add some heat induced reflex on a caul. Some do it pre tiller, I do it post tiller and then make corrections to the final tiller with a scraper.
Jonathan Mohr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©