Author Topic: Stainless Steel Takedown Sleeve  (Read 628 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stainless Steel Takedown Sleeve
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Last weekend at the Traditional Bowhunters of Montana Banquet I bought a Jack Harrison Black Wolf longbow with a sleeved takedown.  The sleeve is made with what looks like stainless steel and works flawlessly.  I mean it is solid, there is absolutely no play, and it comes apart and goes back together with very little little effort.  

I have made over two dozen selfbows using the brass & steel sleeve available from 3 Rivers, Kustom King, Raptor Archery, they are all inherently inferior to this one.  I do know Jack said in his book he patented the sleeve.  Jack wasn't the first to make an all stainless steel sleeve, I have seen and shot a longbow made in mid 1950's that was almost as nice, just a little harder to pull apart.  That bow was made by Ellsworth Green, a Bowyer for Browning Bows out of Morgan Utah.  He made it for his nephew (my brother inlaw) when he came back from the Korean war.  In the early 80's my brother in-law told me those sleeves were no longer made.

My question is, do any of you know of a manufacture who makes a similar stainless steel sleeve system that is available?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stainless Steel Takedown Sleeve
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:00 AM »
Jack B. Harrison

Wolf Print Publishing

3450 Palmdale Drive

Wasilla, Ak 99654

907-715-6433 home/office

[email protected]

pulled this from google-hope it helps
Mike

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Walt I think a guy could make his own set with an arbor press, or large vice. Get (2) 4" sections of SS tube with one fitting inside the other. Slide one inside and press it until you get the shape you want. Then drive the inner tube out and use emery cloth to make it fit better.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
"The sleeve is made with what looks like stainless steel and works flawlessly."   Steel would be on the heavy side.  I made one from FG pain in the arse.  Next one will be a hinge much lighter, quicker and easier to build.  The good thing about the hinge takedown is you eliminate the one flaw and that is getting the perfect fit and yanking the 2 limbs apart with some effort. And it will fold down as a complete unit rather than 2 pieces.    :p

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Everybody thanks for the help it is appreciated.  

Pearl, that is a good idea and I might give it a try if nobody makes one for sale.  I am lacking in the metal working skills and tool departments. However, I do have several subcontractors who I think could make it happen.... For the right price.

Bamboo, thanks for the contract information.  I have Jacks info and have communicated with him via email when he came out with his book.  Back then he refused to sale his sleeves.

Wolftrail, thanks for the options but I have built bows with most of the systems on the market, including Big Jim's fiberglass, the sleeves mentioned above (as well as Pine Hollows), Robertson's Connexion, round metal and fiberglass sleeves described in early Primitive Archery articles, and a couple with the Bow Bolt.  Before you ask, yes the Bow Bolt works in selfbows, both the 68 and 65 pound bows are still in use seven years later.

I had one of Jacks Harrison's bows around fifteen years ago and had forgotten how well his sleeve system worked.  I was mostly looking for a machined sleeve like his and wanted to see if I could make it work as slick as he puts them together.  So far the Bow Bolt is my favorite but the handle ends up a little big for my liking, but then so is Harrison's.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Might be a task better suited for a machine shop. I can ask a guy I know if you like. Would need some basic dimensions and a pic or two

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©