Author Topic: Finish question  (Read 469 times)

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Finish question
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Guys, I'm sure similar questions have been asked, but I can't find the exact answer I'm lookin for.
I'm currently refinishing an old Darton Valient. I completely sanded off the old finish(what was left of it anyways). I have started applying the new finish. So far I have finger rubbed 3 light coats of gloss spar varnish with light sanding between coats. One more coat and all wood pits and imperfections should be smoothed out.
I would like to spray the final coat with plain polyurethane. Question is, Should I wait for the spar varnish to completely cure, or should I spray while it is still "green"?
Also, the bow looks beautiful in high gloss, but is going to be used primarily for hunting. Do you suggest semi-gloss, or satin?
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finish question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:25:00 AM »
Yes wait. Sand if needed. And spray a few light coats of Satin. Semi gloss is still too glossy for me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
I agree with Jeff, semi-gloss is still reflective as ever. I use Helmsman clear satin in a rattle can. Fantastic stuff with a quality appearance. Hold the can a good 12" away the last few coats and you will get a frosted look.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
Another good grain filler is Tru Oil that has gelled up. Smear it all over heavily, boogers and all. Let it dry hard and then sand it smooth. The pores stay full and the surface is level. Now apply any finish you want over that.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Tru-Oil has self leveling and filling properties and is compatible with most polyurethanes. A quick spray of satin poly will cut the shine of the Tru-Oil nicely. I've not used Helmsman so I can't speak to that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
I should be able to get the final coat of spar on today. Then I can sand put spec info back on, and couple coats of satin next weekend.

I've never tried the Tru oil. Maybe on the next project.
Does Tru oil work well on fiberglass as well?  Also, I know spar darkens colors a little bit, how is Tru oil in comparison?
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Tru-oil will yellow over time and it is overpriced. Look at wipe-on polly, true it will yellow also but cost a lot less. A few base coats of gloss wipe-on polly then a couple coats of spray-on Satin polly and you are ready to go.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©