3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ontario traditional bowhunters assocation?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Ontario traditional bowhunters assocation?
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Sergio and I were talking about maybe trying to start a Traditional bowhunting asscocation/club here in Ontario.
I think it is a great idea! I belong to an American based organization; but I think one here at home to help deal with issues and concerns here would be pretty cool.
Organizing shoots, get togethers, banquets, kind of like the PBS and Comptons type of deal.
so? good idea? anybody interested?
We stick shooters need a voice up here, we all know too well what happened to the spring bear hunt...     :readit:    
And we all know how many  "string-guns" are up here hunting in "bow seasons"..
So chime in and let us know!
  "OTBA"...sounds pretty good eh?
BD

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ontario traditional bowhunters assocation?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Big Dog, funny you should say that, as I want to start something similar down here on the East Coast....
I can see great potential, if it can be organized correctly.
Scary, we think alike eh?
ARCHER

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Nope, not scary at all, waht we need to do is affiliate all provincial clubs into 1 organization. that will be a future goal.

BD  :thumbsup:

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Right on Brutha....
ARCHER

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Cary,

We are a pretty small number of guys, don't you think?? I bet there is less than 200 guys in this province that are into Traditional archery like we are. I can tell you from my experience of Running the Canadian Sporting Clay Association for a number of years, you need a good number to make it worthwhile from a newsletter/fundraising projects etc standpoint. You would also require some real dedicated people that are willing to travel for meetings gatherings etc. Most Ontarians and our brothers from the south fail to realize the size of Ontario. Members would be spread out over a distance that takes thirty plus hours to travel from east to west. I could join a Texas Trad club and get there quicker than some spots in North Western Ont.All that said if there is enough interest and passion anything can be done. It may make sense to form an affiliate group of an existing organization. I am a member of the Compton and you will find no finer organization which is built on passion and dedication for our sport. If there was enough interest it might make sense to entertain and Ontario Chapter of the Compton if they would ever entertain such an idea.
hunt it

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Dave,

you are probably right about the numbers, I'm thinking though it may be a bit higher, maybe 4-500 hundred or so; a small drop in the bucket compared to the number of "other" archery shooters...
Oh I'm well aware of the size of our great province..you could easily fit a few Texas's in here...LOL
I would love to form an affiliate group if that was possible, but the interest would have to go both ways, you know what I mean?
But I do think we could get one off the ground, the numbers of us are growing every year.
And, we really do need our own voice.
Are you in Dave???
  ;)    :archer:  BD

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Big dog, build it and they will come! I think it's a great idea. Start off small, the same as the bunny hunt. Let it grow itself, and enjoy the ride it will take you on. If it prospers, then you think of growing bigger. Look at any club out there, they all started out by a couple of people and a ton of passion.

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Go for it,  cheering  for you in the lower 48!!

Offline Shaner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
I would be interested! There is just NOTHING like that around here and I think it would be awsome. I'm located in Windsor by the way. Nothing to do with archery or even the outdoors around here for miles...lol Sounds interesting though I'd love to see you follow through!
Shane

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
big dog,  
There is a need. You know I started my pursuit of traditional with the training wheels. I was always interested but never had a starting point. I finally said I'll teach myself, stumbled upon this site and some other resources and the journey began. You know how I’m getting completely absorbed. I believe their are a few like me out there that need the starting point. I'll help you out in whatever capacity I can.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Good stuff, I'm game and I have started a club before the internet made things easier...We are gonna talk it over at EOBH, bonfire chat!
You are right, we need to reach out and help our fellow trad shooters.
BD  :campfire:    :archer:

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
Good luck guys! We started one here about 5 yrs. ago. Still having some growing pains. But we have a good time when we get together.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
There was a group here in Ontario a few years ago.They had a couple of shoots,aranged a caribou hunt.I think Lindsay Andrews was the Pres. at the time.They use to set up at the Sportsman show a few years ago.Not sure what happened to it all.
             O.B.B.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
Count me in,been thinking about this for a while now.Together we can make this work.   :campfire:
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline FootedShaft@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 02:20:00 AM »
Count me in !!  :thumbsup:   Let me know if i can be of any help  :)  . Bill

Offline huntwisely

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 05:58:00 AM »
Nova Scotia has TAANS - Traditional Archery Association of Nova Scotia. Approximately 100 members. When we have our 2 day shoot in July, we get folks (that are also members) from PEI and New Brunswick and we have FUN.  -

http://www.taans.ca/

Offline FootedShaft@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
BTT,we aren't going to let this one die.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
you got that right, we'll see how many Ont.  trad shooters visit here.
BD  :thumbsup:

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
BD
You can count me in.If you look in trad bowhunter mag there used to be two clubs in Ont.After many failed efforts to reach them I would have to assume they are dead.That would lead me to believe it will be a hard road to make it work but it is something thats time has come.
There are so many great thing we could get done ie helping to introducing trad archery to the scouting org to sporting shows and public relations promos.
Hooking up with PBS or Compton could have an upside.Depending on our numbers I'm not to sure how much it could help us at a grass root level.Maybe if an Ont org. joined TAANS and other such groups(I used to be a member of TAANS)we would have a larger voice with our USA brothers.That way it would be easier to help each other when there is a threat to our way of life.
I look forward to hearing more about this.
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
Way to go Gary,lets get something going and lets grab the bull by the horns.We need this....   :archer:
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©