Author Topic: Metal monster  (Read 1749 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Metal monster
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  I love imagination.......   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
That's pretty cool . Now I feel lazy for grabbing an old compound riser , sanding , truck bed lining and grinding limb pockets. That really cool..
 I do however want to see some groupings.

Here is my first with this bow.
U.S ARMY M.P Retired 2011-2015

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Warf Hunter /******** BlackMax 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
Miles not lazy at all I've done the same with an old comp riser too it just didn't shoot as well as hoped. I've been trying different arrow combinations to see what I have that shoots best out of it. We've had weeks of 25-45 mph winds so haven't had the best conditions. Supposed to be relatively calm for a few days so hope to get something finalized.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
I would really like to see your results. What kind  of arrows does it like heavy ,light , skinny , etc arrows .
Looking forward to hearing more.

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
Miles I'm struggling with the bow weight trying to shoot groups as I'm still recovering from a bad drug reaction. These are Beman ics speeds that weigh 630gr shot from 25 yards. Collapsed a bit on the low shot. I'll try some old blackhawk acc arrows that weigh 550gr later.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Man I have really wimped out. I had to shoot maybe 2 arrows then walk away for a while so I had enough strength to shoot a couple more. Never noticed this when I was out stumping.The 550gr blackhawks went all over the place so they don't work. Anyway here are a couple more groups all shot at 25 yards. The first is using my cheap wlmart stumping arrows which seem to work well

The second is the beamans with a 250 gr point which brought them in at 675 gr. They weren't too bad but I was starting to pluck the string even more as I was getting weaker and the last arrow was a wild flyer.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 04:26:00 AM »
how are ya Ben,  WOW !!!! Awesome looking Bow there and i would stick with the walmart stumping arrows   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
Jeff its been a fun project that helped me get off my back

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »
Not bad for an old timer...   :)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
Yeah Roy if I could see better maybe I could shoot better. At least I still have most of my teeth.    :bigsmyl:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
at least thats something   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
Not what I was expecting to see at all. These Walmart arrows that you used were they the higher poundage bow range like 50-70 or lower. I don't have the all the charts of the indivual spine. It could infact be settling as of use, I would be always cracking on those bolts in fear of it failing on me. If you don't mind telling spine of each arrow.

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
Miles the wmart arrows were 55-70 or something like that. They are cut to 28 1/2" with 250gr points and 4 2.4" vanes. The ICS are 400s cut to  29" with 120gr brass inserts and 250 gr points. I've been playing with different combinations and have an flipper rest that I can adjust the center shot with. But the biggest problem is my weakness and thats improving the more i shoot.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Not sure what you mean.

It could infact be settling as of use, I would be always cracking on those bolts in fear of it failing on me.  

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
i think he might have meant "cranking"- checking that the bolts were always tight   :dunno:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Yupper. Bens bolts have been loose for a while now..   :)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
:laughing:

Offline Miles Bate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
Ha, ha, yes my horrible spelling. I did mean "cranking" thank for clarifying for me. My thought is that your linbs being wood putting pressure on metal Could cause weakness as they bend and suddenly stoping without any buffer between them. If I understand correctly metal doesn't bend easily . I worry that eventually the wood will rub off within the limb bolt area. I am not a building guru by no means . My question is there a buffer between the limb and area which its bolted to, and how much vibration is being placed in area. If there is too much it could leave to some substantial wear. I wish I could see under the limb.

I certainly don't want you to get hurt.

So if your using one of those arrows then it must like a straighter , stiffer ,arrows.

Very interesting .. Please continue with up date.

The thought of making a take down from a metal pipe as a riser and wood for the limbs. So Please continue. When possible.

Assist, Protect, Defend

Black Dragon 61"  50lb
Samick Sage 50lb
Wing Nighthawk 35lb

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
OK GUYS now I know where I stand, hmm guess I should clean my shoes now.    :biglaugh:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Check the screws too, some of them are loose also. LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©