Author Topic: Glues.?  (Read 505 times)

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Glues.?
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Is there a decent water based wood glue that fills small voids that TB does not.  I have Welbond does that fill gaps, this stuff also dries clear, and I use it for attaching field points on my wood shafts..?    :rolleyes:

Offline MikeWinVA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glues.?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
The only one I can think of is hide glue.  You can use the crystals which you rehydrate. If you have a hard time finding it, TB makes a hide glue also in liquid form.  Although it is inferior in bonding strength and setup time to traditional hide glue.  Knox clear gelatin can also be used there are a few recipes online   Gelatin Glue recipe   .  It is similar in strength to traditional hide glue.  I know some instrument makers (luthiers) who use it.

These all like reasonably tight joints, but are no where near as finicky as resorcinol glues. The advantage using these over PVA glues is that once a PVA glued joint fails, you have to get back to bare wood to get good adhesion again.  With the hide glue, just wet, heat and reapply. Dried hide glue is very much like dried out jello when it is cured(less tasty though).

If it is not structural, you could use a water based wood filler, Minwax makes a few.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:11:00 AM »
Collogen glues get the best bond with perfect mating surfaces.
Resourcinol is a gap filling glue, I used to know the guy who invented it! If you want to make its gap filling properties better he told me to mix it with fine saw dust.

To answer the original question - No! But Cascamite could be worth a try.

Offline Bowlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:47:00 AM »
The best glue for all the tasks you describe would be epoxy, but it isn't water based.  For the low bond issues you mention a 5 minute would do, and you can get some decent stuff at dollarama for around a dollar.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
Weldwood Plastic Resin is a powder that is mixed with water and, like Urac and Unibond is a gap filing urea glue. I've used it for bow backings and for handle risers and tip overlays with good result.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Thanx guys that Weldwood Plastic Resin we have it here. Cant find Urac or Unibond.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
Weldwood Plastic is very similar to Urac(I've never used Unibond). It is a dry powder(urea) that mixes with water. I guy from Italy told me about it many years ago. I tried it and was pleased with the results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©