Author Topic: Belt Sander?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Belt Sander?
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
Got my band saw and now going for a belt sander.  What type and make do U use and why?  Not looking at high dollar   :dunno:
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Belt Sander?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
Roy, that is a sander for sure.  Think I will have to save up more money for sure.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
If I could swing the one that Roy has, I would, and I'd be one happy bow maker.  Maybe someday...big sigh.
I have this Porter Cable and it does the job for me for now.  I use the disc sander a lot, too.  Made in China, unfortunately.  Get the 2 year replacement plan and save the paperwork.  The motor went in my first one after 1 1/2 years, but I worked it pretty hard.  They gave me a new replacement no questions asked and I've used that one for a year now.
Not a glowing recommendation, I guess, but aside from the longevity issue, I'm happy with it.  If this one dies, I'll be back asking for a replacement again.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_91036-46069-PCB420SA___
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
I have one with an 8" belt that I inherited from Dad. It is belt driven. Same motor. All I had to do was replace some bearings on the sander itself.
Jawge

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
I have a cheapo Skill.  It does have plenty of power but small belt 3x18 and you have to keep dumping the filter.  For $50 it has done me good so far with no hickups. Used about 30 belts to date.
The one thing I really liked about it;  its very easy to mount side ways and attaching it to a flat board.  THen I mount the board with a couple wood screws to the saw horses. Works real slick.     ;)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »
Oldbowguy, sell that fancy boat and buy it. LOL

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Regularly watch your local Craigslist, fellas. I had full intentions of buying the sander Roy has, new from Grizzly, then found a like-new Jet sander on Craigslist for half the price of a new one. I got it for $450.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Grizzly makes a 6"x48" table top with a 10" disc. That's what I've got and use it for bow building(wood bows) and arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
yes, definitely watch Craigslist and the big auction site. I bought my 18" Jet band saw in mint condition on Craigslist for $600(about 1/3 the cost of a new one), and it was less than 30 miles away. I won my 16" Jet/Performax thickness sander with all the bells and whistles plus over $200 worth of drum wraps of various grits all for $650. I did have to drive to Cleveland from central Ohio to pick it up, but it was less than half the cost of a new one, so it was totally worth it. been looking for a used jointer with long bed and Byrd cutter head for over two years. have only seen one used one in that time, and it was nearly the cost of a new one. I've acquired some superb tools for real bargains, and have never had any problems with them.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Thanks all, Roy, can't get rid of the ol boat, just to much fun.   ;)

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
Yeah Jamie, I went to Erie for my edge sander. It was well worth it.

Those Byrd cutters are nice. I'd like to have one in my jointer. It's a 6" long bed Powermatic. It's due for a knife change.... planer is too.

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 05:57:00 AM »
if I had room in my shop, I'd have one of those Grizzly edge sanders. need a bigger shop.    :thumbsup:
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »
I love mine..   :)

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
I wish I had room for such a monster.  First time I used one of those units I was grinding down a small piece barehand and it suddenly grabbed, the piece went flying and sliced a chunk of my finger tip. The flesh was sort of hanging there, almost to the bone but not quite.     :(  
I use gloves now when I'm close and personal with the belt sander.      :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
OH Boy Wolf, here we go.. LOL
Some guys suggest not wearing gloves as the glove could get caught and pull your hand in.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
I've skinned tips over fingers pretty good many times, I think I'll stay gloveless on my sander.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
OH Boy Wolf, here we go.. LOL
Some guys suggest not wearing gloves as the glove could get caught and pull your hand in.
Not at all these gloves are heavy and loose fitting.
Before the belt wears thru the leather the machine will be turned off. I have also had my finger tips sanded...  
 :goldtooth:

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
I resemble that remark... I have them all still, though a few have been close to severed and were fairly mutilated at my jobs. Luckily, the body has a wonderful ability to heal... mostly.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 05:03:00 AM »
Get a belt sander with the longest platen you can afford. Maybe even save up for awhile for it. The gloves rather them than fingers.   :scared:
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©