Author Topic: Table saw no power  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Table saw no power
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
It's too bad he's so far away cuz I like messing with that kind of stuff. It's what I do at work, sometimes. I recently helped a friend figure out an electrical issue on his Delta drum sander. He bought it used, and apparently the switch had failed on it, and the previous owner bypassed it and just plugged it in to run it, and unplug it to shut it off. It just needed a new switch and part of the wiring harness.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
I have some buddies that are a little more electric savvy than I am, I'll show them this post and bounce your ideas off of them and see what comes of it. Thank you for your thoughts guys

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
Being the redneck I am , I would direct wire it and plug it in, then if it works, find a proper switch. LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
Me too Kenny. I keep half an extension cord with alligator clips on it for such redneck engineering    :thumbsup:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
redneck engineering- thats too funny   :biglaugh:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
think at school we called that an oxymoron!!!   :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
I was gonna say the same thing Kenny.  Make sure the motor works (or doesn't) first, then go from there.  Hot wire the thing direct to a cord and see if she turns good.  If not, scrap the motor and put on one of your yard sale motors with the same RPM and HP.  You could have some bad brushes in that motor too.  Have to checked to see if the brushes were worn down or gone?
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
I did direct wire the motor this morning and is still did not run.
I haven't opened the motor up yet it looks like it's gonna be a bear to get out.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Dang! Be sure to check the rpm like Joe said if you change motors , a lot of motors like you pictured are 1740 rpm, and I think the saw says 3400 rpm in the pic....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
i'll bet the brushes are stuck--I just was scratching my head on the same basic motor on my craftsman jointer--its from sitting too long--they are under two plastic caps--unscrew the caps-the spring and cable will pop out-the brush is on the other end-gently tug if it won't pull out freely its stuck--I freed mine by poking the brush in w/ a skinny screw driver[gently!]
  good luck!!
Mike

Offline Martin Schutte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »
I Hope you get this thing fixed it`s an awesome tool to have. I bought years ago vertical and horizontal band saw eurasia brand name it is a vertical and horizontal saw.

I slapped on a better work space(table) a few months ago it start giving problems you can start cutting but after awhile it will start "losing" power.

It will cut but will freeze up   :mad:   , this thing made my head spin thinking of what will be the problem, I removed the "fan belt" and the motor will run like a nascar motor so that was not the problem. Eventually I checked if it got oil in but also not the problem,I then found it has a tensioner pulley at the top and  that it does not have a bearing but only a sleeve that was worn out completely   :knothead:   .

I send it to a engineering shop and they installed a bronze sleeve that will last a lifetime. Now this saw cuts with worn blades better than previously with new blades.

Hopefully you can figure out this fault on your saw!!

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »

Problem found

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Motor windings look like they got a little warm. It could be a symptom of a different root cause though. I would replace the motor, check the supply wiring really well and replace the switch too.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I decided to stick with my smaller saw that I know works, it just needs it's motor mount adjusted to straighten up the blades cut. I am retiring this nicer big saw for the time being, I appreciate everyone's help.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
Windings get too hot when the motor is starved for voltage...bad connection ..too small supply wire...ect. A motor will do everything it can to reach its designed rpm, voltage drops...current goes up in direct proportion...to much creates heat...and melt down.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
I don't like direct drive anything!! If it's not pulley driven I wouldn't own it. My advice is if the replacement motor is over $100 look around, maybe Craigs list or yard sales and get a good tablesaw.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©