Author Topic: Help picking a bandsaw for bow building  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
Help picking a bandsaw for bow building
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
I've never owned a bandsaw or built a bow so I'm not sure what size bandsaw I may need and I need help fast. Two saws are on sale til tomorrow at different places. One is a 12" 2/3hp for $599 the other is a 10" 1/3 hp for $319. Obviously I'd rather spend less if the smaller saw if it will suffice but I will spent the extra dough if bow building requires a more powerful saw. I have no clue so any help or advice will be appreciated.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help picking a bandsaw for bow building
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
You can get a 14 inch 1 hp Grizzly for $445 plus shipping, US dollars..

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
Between the 2 you have listed..the 12" would likely be the better choice..

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I had actually orderd a Grizzly about a month ago but had to cancel my order. It was a huge hassle to have em ship one to Canada dealing with customs freight charges tailgate services etc... really jacked the price up in a hurry. I'm currently looking at the General international brand here in Canada. I too was leaning more towards the 12". I think I will be happier with it in the long run.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
Sorry you had a bad experience with shipping the Grizzly.
Are you looking at the 90-040 M1? That one looks like a nice saw, 0.67 hp is better than 1/2 hp. I have had good luck buying good used equipment off of Craigslist.

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Yeah the 90-040 M1 is the the one I had my eye on. I also was going to checkout Kijiji for used band saws but for some reason I just always feel better buying new.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 04:01:00 PM »
Bubbadooz, I live in Cambridge and I found it cheaper to order a Grizzly and have it delivered than buy a similar saw for what they want here- even with the exchange rate.
Dave.
P.s. there are a lot of good used tools out there. Don't be afraid to buy used. (my 2 cents)    :)
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
I wouldn't go smaller than a 14 inch saw. I have a delta and a rigid. Both were picked up on CL for under $100. I did repaint both and add new guides and ureathane tires. They are simple machines, not a lot to go wrong. The delta now looks and runs like a new machine.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
Ok so I found a Used 14" Delta online I'm going to have a look at. Like I said I've never owned one before so what should I look for to see if it's a good buy(bow building worthy)?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
Buy it.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Ask to see it run. Look at the guide bearings. If they need replacing, you might get it at a lower price.
Dave.

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
Here's a used 16"  delta for $400 any thoughts on this? Is it worth it / a good deal?   ]Photo bucket [/URL]

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
That's too much...

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
That's more like a 10" saw than a 16" saw, it has a tiny little motor as well. I would pass on that one.

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks For the input. I thought it was priced too high as well. I seen another one. It was a Toolex 14" looked like really good condition for $200. Only thing was from my research it seemed like getting spare parts would be hard considering they don't produce that model anymore and the company is from Australia. Has anyone on here even heard of this brand or have any experience with it? This is the last one I'm considering. If this one don't seem like a buyer I'm just gonna buy new.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 01:49:00 AM »
the problem with those 3 wheel saws- is that the wheels are smaller than say a 14" saw, so the radius the blade needs to bend around is smaller- and that plays heck on blades- blades will fracture and crack quicker than a bigger wheeled saw- especially at the blade welds.
 also the smaller diam. limits as too how thick a blade you can run- now  not wider but actual thickness measured in thou. eg a 14 " saw wont like an .035 blade much- they will prefer an .025 blade- the thicker blades will fracture. you need a 16 to run 035 blades
the thicker blade helps with stability in the cut- really important if you are going to do a little resawing for some projects etc.
i would buy a minimum of a 14" or bigger.
 check out the busy bee saws- not the best- its chinese stuff- but for the average home workshop they are pretty good value. but before i bought a new craftex from busy bee- i would buy a good solid used  machine.
 oh and like everyone says get one with enough jam- niothing worse than the machine lugging down.
i am kinda addicted to bandsaws- i use mine for everything- dont have a table saw.
i have a delta 14" a craftex 14, a craftex 16. a bigger 22 incher and have a brute coming that runs a 5" wide blade on it- with a 15hp motor, i think it has 3' wheels- fugger that will cut lams for my bows ok! thats iffin i ever get the chance to get near my bow shop again- and ever even think about building another bow   :(  

you can never own enough bandsaws- nice to have them all set up with different blades- for different uses.

good luck- keep a-lookin you will find something!

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
I have a general international 10" and it works fine for bowyering.  The key is having the right blades for what you want to do so you don't burn out the motor. I use a 14 12 bimetel when I cut glass. And a 3tpi when I'm working with wood. Never had a issue.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
I had a three wheel Delta just like that one. $400 is way too much for it, and it will drive you crazy breaking blades.
If you're not in a rush, I would say keep looking at kijiji. You're bound to find something good there.
Wayne, I'm sooo jealous!    ;)   I love my big Grizz. I would have ordered a bigger one but space is an issue where I work (play).
Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©