Author Topic: Just joined y'all...finally!!!  (Read 433 times)

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
Just joined y'all...finally!!!
« on: May 05, 2016, 11:34:00 PM »
Hey guys. I've been lurking around here ever since I started making bows. You have helped me more than once, that's for sure. I'm proud to finally be a part. Let me just say that the craftsmanship I've seen here from y'all is amazing. I know just enough to know how much I don't know but couldn't imagine not having a bow in the works. I'll help out anyone anytime I can. I think I figured out the picture process so I'll attach some. I've done backed bows in the past but lately I've just been doing selfbows. Favorite wood is hickory, then white oak second for properties and maple second for looks. Favorite woods for handle are calico hickory and two tone walnut. Great to be here.

Keith

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just joined y'all...finally!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:00 AM »
Great looking bows!  Good to have you on board!

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 01:46:00 AM »
Nice work.  Welcome to the forum!
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »
welcome...

great bows... and interesting handle designs... it is good to see some people like me not going on standards...  :D

best
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 02:27:00 PM »
:clapper:
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys.I appreciate it. Yeah, my handles have evolved over the years. I basically tried to incorporate the way my factory made recurve sits in my hand, and I like true center shot bows so it's deepest at the most narrow point for strength. Never had this handle fail on me.Just had to make all that fit in a 7 inch package. Been stuck on this design for years so just trying to make it better.

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Welcome! I'm a newbie my self. I haven't actually started yet but I'm working on getting all the tools and materials to start my first bow ever. I'm making a laminated bow. I was thinking that I'd like to try a self bow as well sometime. Where do you get your hickory staves? Also what would be a cpl important first tools needed for a self bow?

Offline Bubbadooz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
Great looking bows by the way! I'm not crazy into speeds like some but I do think its interesting. Have you ever chrony'd your bows?

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:04:00 AM »
Well I started with a Ryobi Band Saw and belt sander that were a little over $100 apiece, a coarse file for the string grooves, and some sandpaper. the belt sander is still in my garage and I use it for coarse sanding. The band saw died but I got a lot of bows out of it before it did. Now I have a big HarborFreight belt sander and a jet bandsaw. As far as speed, I've never run my bows through a chronograph. I just know that I'm 5-7 pounds off of what PSE does on a mid-range recurve in other words , the bows I make that are 50 or just over 50 pounds draw weight shoot the same speed with the same arrows and get the same penetration as my 45 pound PSE recurve. all I care about is will it work for hunting deer. I get real close to them, but mostly just take their picture. if somebody says they are going to hunt with the bow I'm making for them, then I shoot for at least 50-55 pounds. I can always take a half inch off the limbs if I need to to add a little zip. Most hunters are new to traditional so you have to educate them. If they shoot a 70lb compound with a big letoff, I talk them into a 50-55lb range. It will do the job out as far as 99℅ of people can be accurate. Most people aren't taking 30 yard shots with a traditional bow. I hunt a lot at my parents land which is close by and they live in the archery-only county. During the season I hunt every Thursday and Saturday and mainly just take their picture with my phone and check my game camera.I see so many deer at 10-15 yards from my treestand and from ground blinds. My bows will do the job on them and that's really all I care about but it would be cool to find out someday.

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©