Author Topic: 4 Builds I have going that I actually HAVE to work on, and a question.  (Read 664 times)

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
OK fellas,this collection of wood is going to be the bows.

[/url] [/IMG]  

These 4 are for other people so I'm going to basically do them all together in the same stages. Left to right. Bow 1 is for a deer hunter, mid to late 60's. 5'10". It's a surprise a friend is giving her dad so I can't get exact draw length. I'm guessing he'd like it at 50-55lbs. My 50's end up about as quick as a factory 45 I've hunted deer with many times so that's what I'm going for. 64", 1.5" wide at the fades. .5" wide tips, .5" thick at fades, 7/16" thick at tips. Pyramid, great straight hickory, walnut handle. Sound good to y'all for what I'm shooting for? I think it'll work out nicely. Here's that one. Bout to glue up handle and move on to the others.

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMGIMG]

The next two. Bow 2 at 3, are for friends for fun. They shot one of my 40's and want that. They're both 6'. Going 68 inches long, other specs same as bow 1 to start. Hickory with walnut. Bow 2 has a circle that'll be inside the handle, the rest is straight. Bout to draw it on the board
 #3 is coming from the boards right in 2nd pic below. Gotta draw that one on(1.5" blank) and cut it out. Here's 2 then 3.

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]  

It's bow #4  I need help with the most. The lightest one. It's for a 30 something girls coach from church that teaches archery at school in off season. Said she wants a 30 lb, shoots a 25 now. I think I'll go a hair over 30 or it will pro be as quick as her factory 25lb. Going 1.25 wide, 7/16 to 3/8, half inch tips, 64 inches, hickory pyramid with calico hickory handle. Here's my question. The others are easy but I'm making this one harder. I was thinking about useing this hickory board with irregular cathedral grain since the bow is so light, I think it would hold up. Don't want the bow to fail though if some tall guy shoots it. Could back it but more work and time. The piece all the way to the right is a bow I started with nice straight hickory which I could use for her bow. That cathedral grain would look cool though. Can save it for later or use it. Do you guys think a 30-35 hickory bow with that grain hold up. Wouldn't use it on a heavier bow unless it was backed, or to make cool lams. Here's the board and the other option. What do y'all think?

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]  

Thanks

Keith

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi Keith, I'll just comment on the last one.
Normally I would not even think of using it.
But as you said for the weight and staying long it may well hold up.

I'd like to see you give it a go just to see if it will hold up.
Not much lost if,it does fail.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't use it.  Just too much grain violation and cut through rings.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
Not claiming to be an expert.

I've made 5 bows - 3 of them shoot - 2 broke.

Last one I made is a maple Holmegaard style.

Very forgiving in regards to wood, apparently.

Even so, I was very choosy about the board I used.

I love the thing - was #53 @ 28" when finished - #50 @ 28" after hundreds of arrows.

Never shot better than with this one.
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
Decided against that piece of wood for someone else. Maybe I'll use it for my own experiment later but it's not worth the risk even though it's just going to be 30 lbs.

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
A little progress. I like getting past the first stages! Getting close. Wish I had a 8 foot CNC router.

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
Here is bow 1, 2, and 4. Waiting on a specific piece of walnut my friend wants to use for his handle on bow 3. Got the handles roughed out on these 3 and limbs cut and tappered pre-tiller. I just love the multicolor contrasting handles. I need to make one for me! The coolest ones are always for other people.

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
Here's bow 2. Getting close. A little heavier than I intended. How do y'all think the tiller looks so far? Thanks

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
The first 2 are ready for finish. The 3rd is at 60# and gotta get it down to 50#. First one is hickory with walnut, 2nd is hickory with hick, 3rd hick with walnut.

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

Picking up a giant chunk of walnut tonight my buddy wants his handle made of on the 4th tonight.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Tiller looks good. As long as the handle section been cut at center can take the stress I guess they are good to go. I had a couple failures because they were cut to center having no reinforcement.

Offline Keith Wolfe

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh, I hear ya! My handle evolved over the years! Where it is most narrow, it is the deepest. There is actually a lot of wood right there. Here's the side profile I use.

[/url] [/IMG]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©