Author Topic: CORE WOOD STACK ORDER  (Read 584 times)

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
CORE WOOD STACK ORDER
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
I know core wood vs. core wood subjects have been beaten to death so I'll go straight to the point:

How would the following core wood order work out in a glass laminated recurve with B+W ebony veneers:

- "action-boo" on the tension side (back side of the core) and edge grain maple on the belly side?

Thanks!
Pat

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CORE WOOD STACK ORDER
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
kenny m did some tests with different core woods- i dont know if he found much difference!
 someone may have the link handy

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
Once we start glueing glass to the front and back of the wood, a lot of the known characteristics of the various woods become irrelevant.  I know that's a strong statement but everything I've observed so far tends to support it.

I'm open to entertaining other opinions on this, but as far as I know there have not been any conclusive tests.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
There wasn't much diff with all the same cores in each bow. The trilam guys could maybe shed some light on this without glass.

But I'm kinda with monterey  on it with glass bows.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline chackworth3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
I really like the combo of aboo back/maple belly. IMO it seems smoother drawing to me than an all maple core does, once again this is my opinion. As far as performance goes like was said above, the difference would be very minimal

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
I have come to prefer to use maple for corewood especially in recurves.  I have become less and less fond of aboo, nothing concrete just a personal bias I guess but, no more aboo for me.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
One you put glass on the back and belly, the stuff in between is pretty much just spacer -- the glass is 88% of the strength and characteristics, the wood/carbon in between just separates the two pieces of glass yo give you a specific draw weight.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©