Author Topic: Cut some Ash  (Read 889 times)

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Cut some Ash
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Cut me a Ash this evening! Now the long wait for it to dry.....

Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cut some Ash
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:53:00 AM »
Nice!  Looks like you'll get a lot of straight staves out of it.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:09:00 AM »
You need a bigger chopper-------  :rolleyes:
High on Archery.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
goodness Gracious!  

You should have enough wood for a few bows! lol.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
Sweet...

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Nice tree, I liked working with ash. Looks like you'll get a bunch of staves out of that one.

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
Ok folks I'm new to this stuff. What's the preferred method? Do I let it dry for a year after painting the ends? Do I split it into staves first?

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
Nice chunk of wood.

Did it the hard way too.   :eek:  

Chain saws are gooood!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
I'd split the log in half, give it a few weeks then split into staves. This time of year the bark will come off easily so be sure to seal the back and the ends.
 You can reduce one(or more) of the staves to almost bow size and it will dry pretty quickly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
Basinboy, I was in the same boat as you a month ago when I cut an elm tree down.  I'm pretty impatient, so I knew I didn't want to wait a year before starting a bow.  I re-read the BB1 section on "Other Bow Woods" and they detailed how you can dry a whitewood bow stave in as little as a month.  So I followed the method and I now have a stave that I'm ready to work this weekend.  To summarize, you need to get the moisture content to 9% without damaging the wood.  I put one of the staves inside for 2 weeks and that took the moisture content from over to 30% to a little over 20%.  Once you get the MC to around 20% you can dry it in a hot box/ attic (or any place with a temperature between 100 and 150 deg F) until you get it to 9% MC.  I sealed the ends and back with glue during the hot box step. My stave spend 72 hours in the hot box before it was at 9% MC.  Here's some of the pics of my elm tree drying process.                    

I've only tried this process on this elm tree, but according to BB1, you should be able to do it with Ash or any other whitewood.  Hopes this helps,
-Ben
Where in South Louisiana are you located by the way?  We may be neighbors.
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by BMorv:
Basinboy, I was in the same boat as you a month ago when I cut an elm tree down.  I'm pretty impatient, so I knew I didn't want to wait a year before starting a bow.  I re-read the BB1 section on "Other Bow Woods" and they detailed how you can dry a whitewood bow stave in as little as a month.  So I followed the method and I now have a stave that I'm ready to work this weekend.  To summarize, you need to get the moisture content to 9% without damaging the wood.  I put one of the staves inside for 2 weeks and that took the moisture content from over to 30% to a little over 20%.  Once you get the MC to around 20% you can dry it in a hot box/ attic (or any place with a temperature between 100 and 150 deg F) until you get it to 9% MC.  I sealed the ends and back with glue during the hot box step. My stave spend 72 hours in the hot box before it was at 9% MC.  Here's some of the pics of my elm tree drying process.                                

I've only tried this process on this elm tree, but according to BB1, you should be able to do it with Ash or any other whitewood.  Hopes this helps,
-Ben
Where in South Louisiana are you located by the way?  We may be neighbors.
I'm pretty patient since I had cut a few trees last year and I have one left I'm starting on now. It's a hackberry and I'm hoping it's better than the water oak I used for the first 3 try's at building a selfbow. They all broke :/..
Looks like you found that elm in the marsh. Let me know how it works out I might have to go cut one to play with next year.
I plan to cut a bitter pecan and persimmon to dry for future builds. Thanks for the info!

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Yeah, the woods on our family's property are full of water oak too (the property is not technically a swamp, but holds water for most of the year).  From what I've read, the hackberry should be similar to elm.  Stronger in tension than in compression.
Can I ask if you were testing the moisture content on the selfbow's you tried?  

Good luck on the hackberry. Let us know how it turns out.
You should have some good staves from that ash tree too.
I'll post pics once I'm done with the elm bow.  I'm still debating design options.

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by BMorv:
Yeah, the woods on our family's property are full of water oak too (the property is not technically a swamp, but holds water for most of the year).  From what I've read, the hackberry should be similar to elm.  Stronger in tension than in compression.
Can I ask if you were testing the moisture content on the selfbow's you tried?  

Good luck on the hackberry. Let us know how it turns out.
You should have some good staves from that ash tree too.
I'll post pics once I'm done with the elm bow.  I'm still debating design options.
I did not test the moisture content. I know it lost a bunch of weight in the year I let it dry.
How does one go about testing moisture content?

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
I bought a cheap moisture meter online for around $20.  The reason I ask is that the 1st 2 board bows I tried to make ended up breaking on me. Turns out they had too low of moisture content, around 7% (poor tiller and low moisture content = snap).  
The stave that has dried for a year should be dry enough to make a bow, but I would want to check to be sure.  You want to be between 9% and 12% MC.  I would say 10% or 11% in our humid climate. Above 12% and it will take excessive set, and below 9% it will be brittle.
There are other ways to check moisture content that don't involve buying a moisture meter, but I haven't tried them.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
Nice ash log.  I cut a small one Wednesday.  The borers are bad here.  I wanted to get a few ash staves before they were all dead.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
Split it open. Got 5 good staves. Ends are painted now the wait.....

Looks like the borers were starting on this one. A trail right up the center

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©