Author Topic: alternative finish??  (Read 878 times)

Offline Full Draw Too

• Trad Bowhunter
alternative finish??
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
HI  Guys
 I have a neighbor that has put his nose into my backyard and mentioned the smell of lacquer. Knowing him as well as I do I think it may become a problem for me. I only made 3 bows so far and I'm wondering if you guys have any idea's as to an alternative finish for a take down recurve. wood riser and glass limbs...any input would be GREATLY appreciated.....and yes ...i will LOVE thy Nieghbor....Pat

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: alternative finish??
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Spray in the garage...
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Full Draw Too

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
I am spraying in the garage with a wall fan blowing out into the backyard. the fumes and smell are so strong i need to get it out of my garage since it's an attached garage and it carries into the house if I don't fan it out.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:20:00 AM »
You could use Tru-oil but its not the toughest of finishes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Id tell the nosy neighbor to wizz up a swinging rope, and continue to use the best finish I can.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
You actually doing something wrong with where you live or breaking any rules?
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
Tru oil, tung oil, shellac, etc. Can you spray late at night or early in the morning when your neighbor won't be awake?  Or move to the country and spray whatever you want.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Id tell the nosy neighbor to wizz up a swinging rope, and continue to use the best finish I can.
Yep!!!!
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
I personally have had better luck with Helmsman Spar Urathane over the Lacquer and the smell is not too bad.  Almost any spray on finish will have an odor though.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
First i would explain to my neighbor what I was doing and assure him that the smell wouldn't linger too long and when that didn't work I'd run a piece of duct work from your exhaust fan to the neighbors window.then when he complained Id gladly remove it.after that he wouldn't even notice the the small amount of smell in your back yard!the key phrase here is its your back yard.then Id go out and refinish my blacktop drive,reseal the concrete and spray my yard for bugs with the stinkingust bug spray money could buy lol!!

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Build your neighbor a bow, and he likely won't mind the smell for the couple hours its present. Unless of course it's his wife that really has the problem with the smell. Lol. Be hard to remedy that one!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
Shellac is ok but what is wrong with water base thats all I use, heck they even paint cars with water base.  Oil base products are way to toxic.
   :scared:

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 01:40:00 AM »
Yes all new car lacquer is water based now.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 04:22:00 AM »
Spray when his house is up wind?

Offline Full Draw Too

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys! yeah, this nieghbor just moved in and already complained about the grass clippings going on the EDGE of his lawn..he and his wife NEVER say hello ... I tried saying hello and also waving to them when they are outside..but I get no response..prettty sad isn't it? as far as am I breaking any rules? well, if any nieghbor anywhere statrs complaining about lets say someone doing a small business like welding, cabinet making, body work or anything that would draw attention even the lacquer fumes I'm talking about..they would just have to make a complaint and they would shut you down. I'm talking about living in a residential area. And we have no plans on moving. Sad situation isn't it? If only people knew/believed in the big picture there would be less of this hassle in the nieghborhoods...love thy nieghbor. Pat

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
I moved 4 years ago to a neighborhood..I have to drive 3/8 of a mile to shoot our bows at our family farm. I wear a respirator and run a dust collector when sanding, cutting and spraying bows in my shop..I'm waiting for one of the neighbors to call the DEA to report a drug lab.. The people on either side know I build bows and one of them rebuilds Classic Triumph motor cycles so I might be OK.

Offline Full Draw Too

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
yeah, you get the point Bro!!I can't shoot my bow in town either so I planted some tall arbs to block the view of that nieghbors house..now at least I can enjoy shooting my bow...FOR NOW!

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »
I actually use a dedicated classic car spray shop to do my spraying. They do a totally flawless job everytime. That is another option.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
A little skunk essence on the edge of his lawn before you spray may help!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
Neighbors..25 years ago we had a guy build a house next to our fence where we store rolls of hay. He told use "we had to move the rolls of hay cause he didnt like looking at them"..There were rolls of hay  there when he bought the 1/2 acre, my cousin told him we will move them and buy some hogs to raise there..he said the hay is fine. he located to another state soon after and we did find a better place to store the rolls..if he would have asked in a nice way we would have moved them..but he came over with attitute..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©