Author Topic: Gonna try a build along for my first glass recurve  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
Gonna try a build along for my first glass recurve
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm starting with plans from the download section of swissbow. By A hunkeler.
I started by making a quick and dirty thickness sander.
Scored a great deal on a 14" bandsaw yesterday. (75$)
So today ripped enough red elm lams for 2 bows and a couple of spares.        
I also cut out a couple of riser blanks. Weird thing there is the riser in those plans is asymmetrical so your top and bottom limb are decided before you even check for the weaker limb. Will that cause an issue?
Also started grinding my lams. Seems to be a slow process.
I'm off to see if I remember my password to photobucket and try to get some pics to go with my ramble.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gonna try a build along for my first glass recurve
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »
I build from swissbow plans also the asymmetrical riser is not an issue, granted your form is perfectly square and your glue up is good. From there it's a matter of even working limb and tiller. I would cut outside your limb lay out lines and once you have the limbs tillered you can remove material equally to bring the weight down.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
Lam grinder. Just stuff I had laying around

Rough cut riser and lams. It's gonna be really plan looking under clear glass. All the wood I have is the same color. oh well if it make shooter  :)

Rough cut lams, plans call for two parallel at 2mm. These are at 4.5mm. First impression is its gonna take forever to grind.

No dust collection

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
Looks like a good start. Make sure you feather the ends of that riser down till you can see light through the wood.  Once you have done that guard that riser like precious glass as those feathered tips will break off real easy. BTW which bow are you building?

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
It's the 57" on the swissbow site.
I'm leaving that riser unsanded until the last minute for that very reason  :)  
Also I'm considering building a spindle sander so I can keep everything nice and square.

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
The plan calls for 2, 2mm parallel laminations to make a 48# bow. I really don't need anything that strong. If I replace one of the 2mm with a 0.002 taper would I shed a few pounds?
Would I gain any performance with a taper?

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
Based on my own experience with their plans I think you are looking at a 60" bow nock to nock. That being the case I would stick to the formula provided on your first one.  I don't know if I could stop myself from tapering one of the lams at .002 inch per inch or tapering both at .001.  1.69" is pretty narrow the bow I have been building is 1.5" and I have been using stabilKore in the middle of the bow.

Here are links to my fist two builds using plans from swissbow.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=013143;p=2  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=012542;p=1

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
hey Pago thanks for the links, are both of those from the same plan? I wondering if I'm gonna have to grind my lams thinner. I know I don't want anything close to 65#. I'm hoping to get closer to  40-45# range. It'll be strictly target.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
If you compare the mm on the plans mine is shorter than yours and my plans make a 58" bow.  My lams are .080 with a .001 taper and I am running Stabil-Kore at .015. Total stack of .255.  Your bow should be longer and they are recommending a stack of .236.  For instance if you used .040 uls glass (2), .070 tapered lams (2) and stabil-kore you would be at .235. I think you will be fine at the recommended stack others might offer other advice. Both bows were made from the same plans, same form yada yada.

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
Did a dry run  [/url] [/IMG]  
  [/url] [/IMG]  
  [/url] [/IMG]  
It'll be 2 weeks until I'll have time to glue it up. Any reason not to leave it on form? Will it hurt any thing?
I know my fades will be safe there.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 01:26:00 AM »
you might want to consider an aluminum flat bar strip on the top side to prevent the glass from cupping with the rubber bands- would also spread the load a bit better- as you dont have continuous rubber bands.

looking great though- wish my first glass bow was as neat and calculate and organized!!

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 03:05:00 AM »
Yes definitely use a pressure strip and more rubber!

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 03:08:00 AM »
Pressure strip yup I use a phenolic strip.  If you are using loops of inner tube I would suggest instead using strips of inner tube.  I buy two new bike tubes every bow I make and cut them into 3/4" strips long ways.  When you cook the bow the rubber will relax so you want to put it on pretty damn tight and lots of overlap.  Wrap the rubber peg to peg across and peg to peg lengthwise across diagonal so that pressure is evenly distributed. And whatever you do be sure your riser can't slide.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 03:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by mikkekeswick:
Yes definitely use a pressure strip and more rubber!
I agree a lot more rubber, wrap till you can't fit more on the pegs.

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »
I did buy 1 26" tube yesterday, but a had a couple of old wheel barrow tubes kicking around that I saved a couple of years in hopes I actually did build a bow. There tight as hell. All I can do to get them hooked over the dowels. I guess I will keep the bike tube also and cut it lengthwise and use it also.
 Beumaker says he uses hard board for pressure strips. Sounds cost effective to me.
Man that Fiberglas is nasty stuff. My hands are full of little splinters and other then putting the masking tap on and cutting it to length I barely touched it.

It's going to be a long two weeks.  :(

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 06:32:00 AM »
I did buy 1 26" tube yesterday, but a had a couple of old wheel barrow tubes kicking around that I saved a couple of years in hopes I actually did build a bow. There tight as hell. All I can do to get them hooked over the dowels. I guess I will keep the bike tube also and cut it lengthwise and use it also.
 Beumaker says he uses hard board for pressure strips. Sounds cost effective to me.
Man that Fiberglas is nasty stuff. My hands are full of little splinters and other then putting the masking tap on and cutting it to length I barely touched it.

It's going to be a long two weeks.  :(

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
Use masking tape or duct tape to pull the little glass splinters out of your hands..

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Nice tip. I tried letting wood glue dry and pealing it off like I do for wood splinters but it wouldn't grab

Offline Meleon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
Nice tip. I tried letting wood glue dry and pealing it off like I do for wood splinters but it wouldn't grab

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
I wear gloves if it does not interefere with dexterity too much.

Some thoughts on your planning.

I think it's a good idea to leave your materials strapped down for the next two weeks, but maybe not without the pressure strip.  There could be some deformation of the lams.  Not something I know for a fact, just passing my own phobia on to you.   :)

Use more rubber and get more figure 8 wrapping going if possible.  My forms have less space between the dowels, but you can get them too close together.  

If you live in a population center, go to the local bicycle shops and solicit free tubes.  I visited three and the third one had a huge barrel of discarded tubes in the service area. They were happy to let me have all I wanted.  I walked out with enough tubes to make four bows!

Don't plan on re-using tube strips.  They lose their vitality after a trip through the oven.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©