Author Topic: Feather burner build-along  (Read 1035 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather burner build-along
« on: May 26, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
I'm building a feather  burner for the St Judes Auction and I will do a build-along here so anyone who wants to build one can. If you don't want to build one go to the 3rd listing page at the auction and bid on this one.
Here is a picture of one someone else built that I am using as a basis.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather burner build-along
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
As roy said
No pictures, it did not happen

:goldtooth:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Mark I'm in the process of building and will add more pictures when I have them.Here are the materials that will be used to build the burner.
They include
2: 1/4" threaded rod cut to fit
6: 1/4" nuts and washers
2: 1/4" knobs
1: lighted switch
1: knob screw, washer, and T-nut
1: 3/4"X1/8" aluminum flat to be cut to length
1: Electronic transformer
3: Kleen-cut ribbons from 3 Rivers
1: Cord
2: Round connectors
3: Spade connectors
2: Wire nuts to be used as nock holders
1: Box to house parts

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
The transformer can be ordered here    Transformer    
They're cheap and from China so I'd advise ordering several so you have a back up. I've not been able to find any here. The original builder said he has used his for 3 years on the same transformer. But it takes 2-3 weeks to get here so get several.
I'm building the box housing now and will post pictures when done.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »
I made one years ago but could never find the correct wire. I've tried all sorts but either they move when you put the current through or burn out or don't heat up enough....
Where do you get the wire and whats it called?
Feather burners are the way to go if you can get the right wire!

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
Mike you can order nichrome wire online or go to 3 rivers and search for feather burner which will bring up the replacement ribbons for the young feather burner. They are made heavier than wire so are harder to shape but they will hold their shape. Being from England you have a different power source than we do so you may have to adapt to use this transformer.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 07:44:00 AM »
Here is the box/housing roughed in and sealed. Its made with spalted Chinese elm that rmorris cut in his saw mill. I think I need to stick to building bows not boxes though.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
Looking very good!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
I think this needs to go to the "build along forum when finished. It will definitely be a project for me in the future.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
cool
So cost will be low.
Awesome

:campfire:    :coffee:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 04:30:00 PM »
Looking forward to following along.   :thumbsup:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
OK just doing the final finish work but here is the build after the box is built. I Started by cutting a 3/4" wide by 1/8" deep dado across the front. Then drill a hole that the T-nut is driven into from the inside. This will hold the lock knob for the arrow holder's slide adjustment.

Use a wood dowel to drive the teeth of the T-nut into the wood.

The arrow holder has a 2" wide slot allowing the arrow to be positioned correctly.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
Cut a 1" by 1/2" square hole for the switch. (Or match whatever switch you decide to use) I centered the switch on the top.

Drill holes for the ribbon terminals 1" back from the front and 1 1/2" down from the top.

Add nuts and washers to lock the terminal bolts in place.Double nut the terminals on the outside to give clearance for the ribbon.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I attached 2 spacer blocks under the transformer to make room for air circulation.

The wiring will depend on whether you use a lighted switch or one without the light. A jumper wire is attached to the Main cord and the (RED) transformer wire with a wire nut. (If you don't use a lighted switch you do not need the jumper wire.) The other Main cord wire plugs on to the switch. Lastly the remaining (RED) wire from the transformer plugs on to the switch. The 2 white 12V wires from the transformer are attached to the ribbon terminals.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
Here is the unit put together, on, and the wire hot. I did't spend much time forming the ribbon or setting the clearance. I had an arrow with 4" four fletch that I ran through the burner. You rotate the arrow away from you rather than towards you because or you will have burnt off feathers fall on the next feather to be burnt. Use a fingernail emery board and brush the burnt off the edge of the fletch.
I will add several more coats of finish and it will be ready to do a dozen arrows in no time at all.
HINT 1: BEFORE TRYING TO SHAPE THE RIBBON PUT IT ON THE BURNER AND HEAT IT RED HOT FOR A BIT WHICH MAKES IT EASIER TO SHAPE.
HINT 2: CUT A FEATHER SHAPE OUT OF MASONITE OR SIMILAR 1/8"-1/4" THICK MATERIAL THE FORM THE RIBBON AROUND IT.

There you go either make your own or better yet bid on this one for St Judes.     :archer:

Offline stretch2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »
thank you that is an awesome build a long

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 05:27:00 AM »
well that's just grand, ben!  i'm sure gonna enjoy adding yer fine burner to my growing collection, when i win it on the st judes auction.   ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
An Aussie said something that should have been so obvious I shook my head and why didn't I think of that. Stand the box so the arrow holder is upright then the arrow will set in it perfectly. Duh of course.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
Great job ben
I might build one my self
}}}}===============>>

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
Very nice,  Ben.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©