3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Knock Off + Stupid Idea---> Trial Tests In!!  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Knock Off + Stupid Idea---> Trial Tests In!!
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Very nice Doc! Someday soon I hope to have some time to tinker around and build cool stuff. Really enjoyed this one.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
But.. But... with the two blade design- I see NO sap trail.   :p
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Way to go men! I'd like to see what happens to those heads Shot in a wood arrow? Good looking heads.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Very impressive Doc!Wonder how it'd hold up to Falk's dreaded "Opel Test"?  :confused:
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
Tippit, do you have a side profile view of the hafted head?  I was wondering about the transition from metal blade to wood insert.  Seems like the smoother/tapered it is, the better the penetration...  Great experiments!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
I thought the whole purpose of tweaking and setting up for maximum penetration was to have "back-up" for those shots that TURNED OUT less then perfect?

I am really surprised that anyone would advocate deliberately shooting for the most difficult to penetrate area covering the vitals regardless of equipment. What happened to wait for the good shot that is taught as the basis for becoming a good bowhunter in the bowhunter education course?

JMOP, but I'm shooting for the ribcage over the lungs to maximize my success rate.

Steve

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
I musta missed something Steve. What's your point. He made a homemade broadhead and hafted it to a carbon arrow, shot it thru a board to see if the haft would hold up.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Ray ... Ray ... Wake up Ray. It's staring to rain.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
Very cool Doc.  Wish I had the time and know how to build stuff like that.  Keep it coming!
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Kenny - I was not commenting on Tippets work.
Sorry if that was implied.

Steve

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
I thought the whole purpose of tweaking and setting up for maximum penetration was to have "back-up" for those shots that TURNED OUT less then perfect?

I am really surprised that anyone would advocate deliberately shooting for the most difficult to penetrate area covering the vitals regardless of equipment. What happened to wait for the good shot that is taught as the basis for becoming a good bowhunter in the bowhunter education course?

JMOP, but I'm shooting for the ribcage over the lungs to maximize my success rate.

Steve
because if you miss high then you hit spine or miss the deer entirely, if you miss back you still get lungs. if you mis low you get heart. if you miss forward you still get the goodies.

on a back of the lungs shot, "behind the shoulder" you take away a direction you can miss, if you miss back you hit guts.

it is almost impossible to shoot to far forward, you have a long way to go shooting forward before you miss the deer.

i do almost all of my hunting from the ground, no trees in south texas, and i am going to start aiming above the knuckle, non of the behind the should crap. i have had to many bad experinces aiming for the back third of the vitals. Deer do spin toward you and do jump forward

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
SteveB,
I don't profess to know everything, but I think what Ray is talking about is precisely what Dr Ed set out to establish in the first place...a maximum-performance arrow that performs well under a variety of conditions....
A .30-06 solid through the lungs will be 99% fatal to a buff, but a .470 Nitro Express allows the hunter to break the shoulder and anchor the beast.
When using a heavy, Extreme FOC arrow, a skilled archer can utilize the performance of their chosen "projectile" to do the same, albeit on a lighter-boned animal such as a deer.  I don't mean to put words into Ray's mouth, but I suspect his shot placement is different on heavier-boned game...
(up goes the umbrella....)

Again, apologies in advance if I'm speaking out of turn.....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Ray, you been talking to folks?

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
BTW, I'm not saying I'm skilled enough to pull off what Ray is describing on purpose...but with a well-performing set-up, if that is where the shot goes, I'm covered....

fatman
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Tippit - I do admire your work.
I will not add anything else to derail this thread.
Good luck with the bear hunt.

Steve

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
I like the shoulder shot on deer. As Ray said 6-8"s of penetration, no need for a blood trail. Looks sweet doc. Shawn
Shawn

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Woody,  That is the only thing I will change on my next haft arrow...trim the end of the shaft more flush to the broadhead for a smoother transition.  Since you have one of my forged heads epoxied into a carbon insert, I figured you would be the one to pick that up  :)  

Dr Asby's suggestion of using a wood plug insert gives more stability and strength to the slotted carbon.  It also would allow a much smoother shaping of the shaft to the head.  

I wasn't sure if it would hold up to begin with...But it appears to be even better than an aluminum insert.  The wrap seems to do the same job that footing carbons with a section of aluminum shaft does.  Thanks for everyone's support and help.  

After watching Woody haft one of his Beautiful Knapped Heads to a shaft, that's when I started wondering if I could do the same thing with carbon.  As long as you can keep the carbon shaft from splitting, it is a pretty indestructible arrow.  Plus it is really easy and inexpensive to do...as long as you can get forged heads  :)   Heck it's easier finding steel than Woody's flint...oops I forgot he uses beer bottles too!  

Lastly...Maybe not stupid just different  :rolleyes:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
My bad Steve, I was missing something.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Doc, be sure to post an update after the bear bites the dust! If you have an extra one of these arrows, how about a bear scapula test shot? I'm interested in how your hafting holds up. I'm thinking it will do pretty well.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Dr Ashby,  I know there will be bear scapula in camp...hopefully mine!  I believe this is the eighteenth year Tom Phillips has run some type of bear camp...2nd All Traditional with 2 weeks this year.  Anyway the point I'm getting to is in all those years Every Hunter has had an opportunity to take a bear.  Maybe not the one they wanted but at least had the chance.  Pretty impressive statistic...hopefully percentage will hold up.  Therefore you will have another test!  Thanks for your help...Jeff

Bear scapula top/Deer scapula bottom

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©