Author Topic: Bow making  (Read 707 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow making
« on: July 17, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
I was thinking about starting making bows, can anyone help me with some info how to begin and what I need?
aim small miss small

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow making
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
What type of bows? The kind you intend to make will largely dictate the advice we'll offer.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Similar to big Jim style longbows for hunting recurves as well, but mainly longbows
aim small miss small

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Start right here.  Read through the many build along threads to get you started.  Sounds as if you want to build FG laminated bows - building a form will be your first step.  Several good designs here you could use.  Bet you don't make just one!     ;)
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
You can start real cheap with lumber bought from the likes of Home Depot, if you go through the racks carefully.

I live in a small apartment, so my options are somewhat limited - almost exclusively hand tools to try to keep the noise down.

If the first one you try fails, don't give up.

I'm on bow number 7 right now - in progress. I've had 2 break on me, but I think breakage is just part of the deal.

I think after this one I may consider laminated Fibreglass
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
I don't quite understand the laminated bow making, is the riser made separate? How much laminate do you need?
aim small miss small

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
Use the search function, you will find lots of builds.

Check this out....

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=004759#000000

If you wanna build a glass bow, straight hill style would be the best for a first one IMO.

If you want to just get yer feet wet, buy a red oak board and search out a build or 2.

If you wanna go bbo(boo backed osage) see if Roy or Jeff (or many others, those just came to mind)will help you.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »
nhbuck1 -- what the guys are trying to say is that there is no simple answer to some of the questions you asked (how much laminate do I need?  I don't understand laminate bow making..).  These and other things that have already been answered a zillion times in other discussions.  

Do a little studying first, then ask some more specific questions.  We love helping new builders, but don't want to spend hours answering questions we've already answered many times.

If you look at more than one laminated bow you can answer your question about risers by yourself.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
could of said do a search ken, came across kind of harsh it seems.
aim small miss small

Offline Randy M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by KenH:
nhbuck1 -- what the guys are trying to say is that there is no simple answer to some of the questions you asked (how much laminate do I need?  I don't understand laminate bow making..).  These and other things that have already been answered a zillion times in other discussions.  

Do a little studying first, then ask some more specific questions.  We love helping new builders, but don't want to spend hours answering questions we've already answered many times.

If you look at more than one laminated bow you can answer your question about risers by yourself.
It's a public forum, therefore he can choose to ask anything he wants.  Just like you could choose to not answer.

Offline Randy M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Nhbuck - It sounds like your interest is primarily in laminated bows.  A great place to start is with an outfit called Bingham Projects.  They have absolutely everything you need to build your first bow, including a laminination thickness guide to help you dial in draw weight.  

Binghamprojects.com

Hope this helps.

Randy

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
Go to the "How To" forum on the main page and read thru the buildalongs. KennyM's is very informative and it's where I got my start. Careful though, it's VERY addicting!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Does that make me an enabler or sumpin, Randy?   :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
nhbuck1.................

If you could find someone in your area that is building the type bow you are interested in, maybe they would mentor you thru your first bow. It would be a big help.

I have invited a number of new builders to build a bow in my hobby shop and it is always fun for all involved. If you were a little closer to the Mississippi Delta, we could get you going in no time.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Ya Kenny, you are sumpin...

LOL   :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©