Author Topic: Reinforced Riser for carbon socket takedown  (Read 525 times)

Offline gograntgo10

• Trad Bowhunter
Reinforced Riser for carbon socket takedown
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
I am thinking about making a takedown bow using the locket socket style carbon sleeve method. How necessary is it to have a fiberglass reinforcement in the riser? I know Big Jim and other bowyers I trust insist that it is 100% necessary, but still other say it isn't necessary. Any opinions? has anyone done one of these with or without a reinforced riser? I am only planning on a 40 pound bow, so I imagine it won't be under too much stress. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Grant

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reinforced Riser for carbon socket takedown
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Check out pg 25 of the bow swap. It is absolutely necessary
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Wagstaff

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
Listen to the guys that have been there..!

It's a risk to build the socket type TD without a pretty good backbone..  It's not difficult to create a reinforced I-beam..  If you try, you can even Conceal the structural beam with some creative cutting and re-assembly.

Look into G-10 from Dale Stahl, Masecraft, or Alpha Knife Supply.  You can even get creative,  and select a color that blends or contrasts, adding some decorative style.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by crittergetter:
Check out pg 25 of the bow swap. It is absolutely necessary
And in case you think you're smarter than the rest, Canopyboy is actually an engineer and a sharp one at that. There no secret solution .... Use an I-beam of g-10 or similar or risk explosion!

Offline die_dunkelheit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
Use a router and cut a channel down the center of the length of your handle laminations stopping just short of the end so it will remain hidden under the handle material.

If your handle area is going to be three pieces laminated together back to belly place your reinforcement on the inside faces of the outer pieces so they are separated by the middle piece. The stiffness here comes from the space of that separation. Use a caliper to measure the plunge depth of your bit off the router base plate. Make it depth slightly greater than the thickness of your reinforcement material to allow for some glue, just a few thousandths. Glue your reinforcement in leaving it flush with the surface of the material. When you glue that to the middle lamination of the handle the flushed out reinforcement will bond right to it.

Or if you are using transversely oriented middle lams you can do the same deal with the router but in the middle lams so that the reinforcement is oriented in the transverse plane.

Hey! This is my first post... Hi guys, I used to build bows for fun but had to quit do to life and am at a point where I can get back to it. You should start seeing some of my work come up in the bowyer's bench shortly. right now I have a piece of walnut and a piece of birch waiting for their bamboo backing to come in the mail, after that I'm going to do a few all Boo recurves and static recurves
-Ghost

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by LittleBen:
 Canopyboy is actually an engineer and a sharp one at that.
Gee, thanks Ben. But my wife has been arguing for years that I'm rather dull.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 06:30:00 AM »
Composite is best for reinforcement. G10 or fiberglass. If you want all wood then Ipe would be a good choice. Keep the ibeam off center to the sight window side.
High on Archery.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
Hey, give it a try without.  If it breaks, build another but with reinforcement.

It's only 40lbs, probably won't hurt much if she goes.I Had a 62 lb bow bolt explode on me at full draw (built by another )....everything grew back in a few weeks, on me that is.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©