Author Topic: Super Magnum 48 issue?  (Read 544 times)

Offline Ringbill

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Magnum 48 issue?
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
A coworker of mine is getting back into archery and pulled out his bear super magnum 48 that he has had since the 70's when he was a kid. He is a fairly tall guy and his draw has to be at least 29" maybe 30" anyway asked me if this bow was safe to shoot and it looks to me like the glass has been over stressed on both the back and the belly just past the fades. I was just looking for opinions on whether the bow is safe to shoot or not. I tried to get the best pics I could

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Magnum 48 issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I cant tell you what caused the damage. I will say that drawing a 48" Mag 29-30 isn't a good idea. Tell him to look for a nice Hunter or Super. Either will be better for his draw.

Offline Ringbill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
I told him it was bad idea for him to shoot it just because of his draw but I think his wife wants to shoot it. I don't know her draw but isn't over 28". I'm more concerned with the bow breaking because of the condition of the glass. I'm hoping someone on here with more experience (That would just about everybody) could say it's fine or don't even think about it.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
i would take it to a pro shop- and put it on a shooting machine- that may set your mind at ease.

or shoot it with a bike helmet and safety goggles for a hundred shots or so   :biglaugh:  

doubt any body will give you a yay or nay exactly- as it could be a huge liability issue.
but go on your gut feel- you are there and you know the folks.

good luck mate

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
I'm with the other guys ... If your emergency room copay is more than a new bow then it's hard to justify the risk .... Obviously I'm being funny but seriously, God only gave you two eyes.

That might not be damage, might just be cracking in the finish. Hard to tell from pictures. If it were me, and I couldn't tell if the bow was damaged, I would strip the finish carefully and then examine to see if the cracking was in the finish only.

Good luck, and always aire on the side of caution.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 07:44:00 AM »
That appears to me to just be cracking on the finish. Very common on super mags given that is a stress point for that specific bow. I agree that this would not be an ideal bow for a long draw - definitely find another longer bow for him.

As for the supermag, if it were mine I would still shoot it. I've seen supermags in much, much worse condition.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:34:00 AM »
Glass bows just tend to fold over when they break - no big bow explosions like wooden bows can do. I know because I tested a few of my quicky bows to see what they can take. In my opinion there is little to worry about.
The way to know for sure if it's in the finish or glass is to sand that area back to glass.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©