Author Topic: Tru Oil ?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Kudu Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
Tru Oil ?
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
I was inspired by Tippit's limb reduction on the Powwow.  So I reduced a 60# to a 55# takedown.  

The limbs were originally finished with Deft Lacquer.  Without removing all the finish on the limbs, can I go over this with Tru Oil, or should I remove the finish and start over?

If I remove the finish, what is the best way?

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tru Oil ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »
If you are just finishing the edges I think I'd match the original finish. Tru-Oil will go over the Deft but I think you would have better results with the original finish. Not sure if you need a complete refinish but I'd try the fix first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 01:51:00 AM »
Try sanding all the surfaces with 280 or 320 grit.  Then wipe on  Tru Oil and immediately wipe off/rub off.  I do this with a paper towel.  It will dry very quickly and you can re-coat in about an hour.  You'll be surprised how nice it comes out.  You can add another coat anytime...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I did as tippit instructed on a bow recently. I striped the riser but left the finish on the limbs, and faded it out by where the glass changes to the core material.   I now have about 7-8 coats of tru-oil on it and you cant even tell the transition.  

This is over water based spar
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©